Mixing Bantam and Full Size

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicknerd, May 24, 2010.

1. chicknerd

chicknerd Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Hi

I have 11 chicks and 1 appears to be a bantam. The rest will be full size. All but 1 of the other chicks are friendly or at least tolerant of the bantam. Is it fair to the bantam to keep it in my flock or would it be nicer to get another bantam so they have a like friend? Or is it better to remove the bantam (breeder says they will take it back if I want.).

I love the little bantam and I really want to keep it. I just want to be fair to it.

Thoughts???

deb

2. kindir

kindir Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have a bantam that walked into a coop with 4 enormous EE's and promptly beat the heck outta each and every one of them. She happily lives in there with them now and is the queen of the coop!!! Chickens have no concept of size, only of attitude. Keep an eye on the banty, but my guess is s/he will do just fine... [​IMG]

3. chicknerd

chicknerd Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Thanks. I will keep an eye on her. She seems fine.

And I apologize for posting in the wrong folder. I thought I was in the Raising Chicks folder. Oops!

deb

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

As long as it isn't at the bottom of the pecking order, you can raise it up with the standards. Just be careful they aren't crowded so it gets stepped on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by