1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing Bantam and Standard Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pleasewright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. pleasewright

pleasewright New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    Just bought 6 bantam chicks from feed supply store. They had arrived at the store only an hour before I bought them, so they must be just a few days old. We intend to buy 6-8 more standard sized hens and raise them to live together. How soon would you buy the bigger hens? Should I wait a week or two to give the banties some growth and a little head start? The birds from the other store could possibly be a week or so older than our bantams. Advice and anecdotes appreciated!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    As long as your brooder has plenty of space, and two feeders, things should work out. Fragile Silkies mixed with more aggressive production reds or sex links might be more difficult, though. A very large brooder will be good! Mary

3. pleasewright

pleasewright New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks Folly's Place! Space isn't as much of a concern as whether the size of the baby bantams compare to standard chicks. They are considerably smaller, so does it make sense to give them some grow time before buying the standard size chicks?

4. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    I've hatched bantams and standards at the same time and raised them together from day 1 without any major issues. There is always a pecking order, but the standards don't seem to intentionally peck at the bantams. As long as I had enough feeders in the brooder there were no major problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by