Mixing Breeds in the Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KrisLehmann, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I have all of the first three breeds (and I host of others) and they all get along great. You should get lots of eggs out of those birds!

2. KrisLehmann

KrisLehmann New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Connecticut
    Are the Black Sex Links noisy?

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I have not found to be any noisier than other breeds. In fact, if any thing, I found them to be quieter.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can't really determine noise makers by breed....
    .....some hens are gabby loudmouths and some aren't.....
    ......and some will be gabby loudmouths all day long for a week or 2 or 3 or....and then they shut up for months.

1 person likes this.
  5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I would go with the black sex links over the RIR myself, I just have found them to be easier going and lay better than the RIR. I have BR and Bo's now and their fine together. I'm raising my new flock now and have several different breeds I'm mixing together. I have BR,EE's,SLW,GLW leghorn and LT Brahma.

6. Celtics33

Celtics33 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Hi, I'm relatively new to chicks also with the same concerns as the original post. I live in middle Tennessee. Last year I took over someone's older flock of black sex links and barred rocks. I'm starting a new batch this year. (I rehomed the older girls ) I currently have the following ordered: Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links, Speckled Sussex, Light Sussex, Golden Comets, Black Australorps, with the option of getting some Rhode Island Reds at pick up time. I intend to have a rather large coop (16 x 20) with a lengthy run (20 x 20). All chicks total will be about 30. Does anyone see any problems with mixing the breeds I've ordered? I'm not sure about the RIR. Thanks for any advice in advance.

7. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

I don't see any problems with that group. You could get a grouch or two, but it's that way with almost all of the breeds depending on their parents, etc. Polish or Faverolles can be another story since they sometimes need a little more tender loving care than the breeds listed above ... or at least mine did.

I think you can look forward to a great group of chickens with few problems! Yay!

8. Celtics33

Mar 20, 2015
    Thank you. I'm very excited about their arrival (first week in May).

9. sueg3041

sueg3041 New Egg

Aug 22, 2015
    Hi first post - but have been reading BYC for quite some time. I would like to thank all of you for the very informative posts that have helped us start our little flock of backyard chickens.

We currently have 3 Buff Orpingtons but would like to add 2 more chickens of another breed. Would this be a wise move or should we stay with Orpingtons?

We live in Michigan so any new breed would have to be hardy with winter temps etc.

Thank you all again - this is a great site [​IMG]

10. Celtics33

Mar 20, 2015
    I believe the sussex breed is supposed to be cold hardy. Mine are large, but very docile. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by