Mixing breeds

So the Saipans are a 15 pound rooster that will even attack a human ! That seems about like what i am looking for. I think the fox might think twice about coming in the yard with one of them around.... Don't you think?

That sounds like the ticket. I would not be afraid of one though because i can speak softly yet carry a huge stick
lol.png

So it seems like you can almost free range with one of them on the property. Just provide cover from the air fowl.

Any other thoughts on the Saipan or American Game?

All roosters may attack humans. And I don't think a rooster will attack a fox, no matter what breed they are, foxes are predators, trying to eat the chickens. You feed them so the rooster will not be that intimidated by you.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol. well if thats what your looking for. Saipan may be what your looking for then, and i believe the 15 lb rooster i heard was only a year old. which means he still had a bit more growing time
hmm.png

EDIT"Although they are known in the trade as a "Jungle Fowl," Saipans are really one of the large game, or fighting, breeds. The true Jungle Fowl comprise four species of smallish birds which inhabit India and Southeast Asia. They include the Red Jungle Fowl, ancestor to all our domestic breeds of chicken.

Saipans were brought to the States by a Mr. B. W. Saylor during WW II. They no longer exist on Saipan. The "stags," as the roosters are called, are very territorial and always ready to attack man or beast. They stand 2 to 3 feet tall and weigh between 10 and 12 pounds. The females, in contrast, are somewhat smaller, gentle and easy to handle.

It is said that they will easily develop crop impaction if fed large grains.
" Taken from feathersite.com

Last edited:
The jungle fowl would rather take flight from a predator than stand up to it. They are extremely good flyers and will do so without hesitation.

The big Asian game fowl; Thai, Shamo, Malay and the like are unlikely to stand up to an arial predator either, a hawk will just swoop in and take whatever smaller bird it feels like, giving the rooster no chance to actually get in there and fight. They might frighten off a cat or dog in the daytime but at night they become just as susceptible to attack from things like foxes.
Whether they would mate with your white rocks successfully I'm not sure - could a white rock hen take such a heavy rooster and would their vents be able to meet?

I think you'd be better off with the Pheonix, even if he won't be the best in a fight but they are much prettier than the Asian games (IMO) - the hens could always hide under his tail
lol.png

I had a little white silkie rooster named Fluffy that chased off a red tailed hawk because the hawk was trying to get in a pen full of chicks. I witnessed the whole thing and wouldn't have believed it otherwise. He would protect his hens from anything but never attacked us. He died trying to fight off the neighbor's dog.

Back
Top Bottom