Mixing Chickens and Pheasants and Feeding.

BinaryChicken

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 12, 2012
Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 Pheasants (Male, Female) with 14 chickens and 3 doves in one of my coops. I have turkey grower in one of my feeders and chicken feed in two others. They have not appeared to be eating much of it though, and eat more of the chicken food and bird seed and corn that i give the birds. However they do not seem to be suffering. They have been in the coop with the chickens for about 5 months. Is there anything i should be doing for them?

Chickens carry diseases that they can handle,but will past it on to a pheasant,and they cannot handle it,and they will die.They shouldn't even be next to each other.They should be eating the gamebird feed also.Feed them gamebird feed and cracked corn mixed for the winter and then in late Feb remove craked corn and give them layer pellets and gamebird feed mixed.Also have grit available to them,fresh water daily,fruits,veggies,wild seed,peanuts(unsalted).They need to be wormed 2 times per year.I worm in Feb before their breeding season and in August,after their laying season has ended.After the 1st worming,they need to be wormed again 10 days later to kill the cycle.Ivemec is a good wormer,3 cc per gallon of water.
In N.H.,Tony.

Seems like the "pheasants w/chickens" topic/question is brought up so often that it's become redundant. Somebody should just sticky to the top of this forum what Tony just posted.

Dan

It's been discussed many times and people just don't want to believe it.Gamebirds and chickens are not the same and they need to be treated in different ways in order for them to exisit.If the battle continues you will see pheasants lose a battle because of stubborness.They are and I hope not,but will disappear forever.Numbers are getting smaller and smaller each year."It has to stop".
In N.H.,Tony.

My opinion is to seperate them as soon as possible for reasons stated. Everyone is here to help you and give opinions both.They kinda go hand in hand sometimes.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom