Mixing chicks???

I have mixed 1 day old RIR chicks with my 2 week EE chicks and added 3 BO chicks also who were 1.5 weeks. They were all fine after the day. Obviously the EE chicks noticed because the brooder was originally theirs, but no issues. Depending on breeding you can mix up to 3 weeks old.

Always watch them. My EEs liked the poor little RIRs red spot on their beak so they pecked a few times. Whenever they did I whistled and they stopped after 3 pecks. No injuries and nothing crazy. Just curious chicks. I also stuck a mirror in with them later which is a great distraction from the new chicks.

Last edited:
Like mixing your two weeks with some 3 weeks? That could be fine, just keep an eye on them to watch for bullying and stepping on the smaller ones or things like that. Try reading up on some of our threads here on integrating chicks together for some more tips to prevent fighting and such :)

Like mixing your two weeks with some 3 weeks? That could be fine, just keep an eye on them to watch for bullying and stepping on the smaller ones or things like that. Try reading up on some of our threads here on integrating chicks together for some more tips to prevent fighting and such :)

Thank you. I'm worried we might have 2 cockerels & my husband doesn't want any roosters so I was looking to add to my flock if we have to re-home a couple. Or just add to my flock anyway...
1f609.png

I've mixed chicks as much as 3 weeks apart, but you have to watch them because the older chicks will peck the day olds on the head from time to time - sometimes, just checking them out, but it's still something the day olds don't like. If it happens too much, you may have to brood them separately for a while, then put them together when you put them outside. Eventually, they will integrate, although they tend to hang with the chicks they were raised with as a subgroup of a larger flock.

Back
Top Bottom