Mixing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3, Sep 27, 2009.

1. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    I own 17 chickens, 7 hens, 10 chicks. It has come to the time when I must mix them. I am very worrided, because we have a mean, bossy, New Hampshure Red. We have had them playing together today, and Yoshi (the NHP) was pecking out handfuls of feathers!!! Please help me!!!!!
    [​IMG] you know what to do!!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Seperate the NHR from the others. It'll knock her down the pecking order.
    Are the chicks big enough that the hens won't hurt them?

Imp

3. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    the babys are a few months old, and too big to fit in our other coop. I can't seperate Yoshi, she will probably scream! I have a baby roo, he will be in charge in a few days, I think.....

4. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    My bave little EE slept on the roost with the hens now. I am SOO proud!

5. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    I'd just get rid of the NH or her own pen.The 2 we had that were younger than most of ours but a lil bigger cuz the others are banty, just murdered 4 of my birds tails. My 2 Polish boys were up in the pen for weeks trying to heal, but of course couldn't help themselves either and would peck eachother a bit.They're finally doing better but naked but until they molt.As for the 2 NH gone ASAP,I didn't like 'em from the start.As soon as I'd go in the pen I felt like I was being stalked! I'd turn around and BAM there they were always,they made me nervous.[​IMG] Just send her away if you want the others safe,problem solved.

6. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    I can't do that

7. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

If she hasnt killed any of the rest by now they will probably be OK. She will be boss hen until baby roo grows up. Provide an extra feeder and waterer. Because she will dominate the ones she uses.

8. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    she hasn't harmed the chicks, and we only use one waterer. They have done well, but that chicken is so mean to them!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by