Mixing Chicks

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Songster
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I own 17 chickens, 7 hens, 10 chicks. It has come to the time when I must mix them. I am very worrided, because we have a mean, bossy, New Hampshure Red. We have had them playing together today, and Yoshi (the NHP) was pecking out handfuls of feathers!!! Please help me!!!!!
wink.png
you know what to do!!!

Seperate the NHR from the others. It'll knock her down the pecking order.
Are the chicks big enough that the hens won't hurt them?

Imp

the babys are a few months old, and too big to fit in our other coop. I can't seperate Yoshi, she will probably scream! I have a baby roo, he will be in charge in a few days, I think.....

I'd just get rid of the NH or her own pen.The 2 we had that were younger than most of ours but a lil bigger cuz the others are banty, just murdered 4 of my birds tails. My 2 Polish boys were up in the pen for weeks trying to heal, but of course couldn't help themselves either and would peck eachother a bit.They're finally doing better but naked but until they molt.As for the 2 NH gone ASAP,I didn't like 'em from the start.As soon as I'd go in the pen I felt like I was being stalked! I'd turn around and BAM there they were always,they made me nervous.
hide.gif
Just send her away if you want the others safe,problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom