Mixing chics

rhknewbs

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Ohio
Hey there! We are new to the chicken world. We have orpingtons (3-roosters 3-hens) that are now 4 weeks old. We discovered that pullets are just hens. of course living in town I don't want to keep roosters. What are your thoughts on getting few day old pullets and adding them to our older ones? Greatly appreciated!!

It can happen well and when it does the older ones tend to "mother" the younger ones. Watch them closely for the first few hours to make sure there is not a problem.

We did the exact same thing we added a day old barred rock to our flock when we suspected one of our older ri red was a roo ... We kept them separate with some hardwire cloth between the flock and the newbie for about a week then introduced her ... Kept a watchful eye and we have had no problems .... We ideally only want 4 birds but one extra wont hurt if it turns out we are wrong on our suspions... Good luck!

I added one chick that was just 2 weeks old to a couple pullets who were 2 months old and they are best friends. The chick stands under and on top of her older friend all the time.

Thank you thank you! More than likely we will be adding pullets. Here in Ohio the state says you must purchase a minimum of 6 chickens. Good thing the wife's dad doesn't mind hanging onto our roosters and adding to his new flock.

Hey there! We are new to the chicken world. We have orpingtons (3-roosters 3-hens) that are now 4 weeks old. We discovered that pullets are just hens. of course living in town I don't want to keep roosters. What are your thoughts on getting few day old pullets and adding them to our older ones? Greatly appreciated!!

The biggest problem will be the difference in heat needed for different ages. A chick just a few days old needs 95 degrees. 4 week old chicks need around 75.The newborns need to be cared for separately until they are at least a month old. There is too much risk of them being stepped on or killed accidently by older ones.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom