Mixing Different Ages

TroyerGal

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 17, 2016
The Coal State
Hey There!! Just a quick question for y'all... If I have a batch of 3ish week old chicks of different breeds, can I put them into a new coop with some 1ish year old hens (which I have not yet acquired) without the fear of disease from the older ones infecting the little ones? A few of my chicks died and I wanted to replenish my flock... but with older ones instead :) i have heard of Coccidiosis issues with different flocks, is that a valid fear?

Thanks so much!!

wee.gif

That is indeed a very valid fear. Been there, done that. Coccidiosis is a very high risk any time you introduce new birds to a flock or when you first put brooder raised youngsters outside, all birds involved are at risk. So you need to know the earliest symptoms and be ready to treat asap or just go ahead and treat preventatively. Keep Corid on hand. Aside from that, yes, the risk of the older birds bringing along some other kind of disease is also high. You should quarantine them a minimum of two weeks, 30 days is better, so you can observe for any signs of disease. Very often the stress of moving to a new home is enough to cause carrier birds to have a flare up. To be honest, I'd far rather get more day old chicks and raise them then bring home adult birds to add to a new flock of youngsters. In fact I do not ever bring home adult birds anymore just for this reason. If I want new birds I get day old chicks or nothing.

Make sure you introduce everybody properly when you do get ready to integrate them all. If you just take the youngsters out there and stick them in with the older birds they are likely to be severely attacked. Chickens hate newcomers and can be quite brutal, even to the point of killing new birds. Very young birds are at a much greater disadvantage. Having a lot of space and lots of places to hide is very important as no matter what there will be pecking order scuffles.

Is this more of a concern than bringing your own little chickies out of the brooder and putting them into the flock of birds you already have? We'd really love to get some hens that are already laying, and our little ones are almost ready to go outside. I could definitely get more babies, but it sure would be nice to have those that are already laying.

Hello everyone! Brand new to raising chicks! Spent last summer building the coop and run. Ordered my chicks in the winter and finally spring came and so did the chicks! Ran to the post office and sad to find out two didn't make it. I have a question to anyone that is willing to help. I could get another one from a feed store but she would be a week old. Could I add her with my two day olds and be okay? I have read not to mix age groups.

I personally would NOT mix a feed store chick with a hatchery flock... even though I am not very experienced with chickens, it doesn't sound like a good idea! who knows what those feed store chicks were exposed to!!

What about mixing 3 week old chicks with week old ducklings. They are all about the same size and will have a 4ftx8ft brooder. Also 2 turkeys are in the mix but they do great with the chicks. All are healthy and thriving. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom