1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixing from hatchery and feed store?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sakura, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Sakura

Sakura Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Cantonment, Florida
    Hi everybody,

We have been checking feed stores and found that they have about 1/2 of the breeds we want to order. The ages vary by about a week. We were planning to order from a hatchery in about 2 weeks.

Can you mix those from the feed store with hatchery chicks? Or from different feed stores if they are different ages?

We are not sure about diseases, vaccinations, etc. they may have had, or if the different ages will all need separate brooders.

We will probably still order from the hatchery, I guess I am just getting impatient from seeing these cute babies in person!

Thanks!

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I will buy all my chicks from the feed stores in my area and have had great success. They are sexed at about 95% correct.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think I've had better luck with the the pet store birds. Now mind you, I'm in it for the companionship. I'm not showing these birds. There is a computer term- WYSIWYG. What you see is what you get. No surprises.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Sakura,
    I thought about getting some chicks from the feed store and putting them in with the ones I got from a hatchery but found out that the birds from the feed store were not vaccinated for Mareks or cocci. My birds from the hatchery are vaccinated. That would mean I would need 2 brooders because the vaccinated birds can't eat the medicated feed and the birds not vaccinated from the feed store would need medicated feed. If you want to mix them you need to have all vaccinated birds or all unvaccinated birds.
    Gayle

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree with Gayle in regards to knowing if the peeps have had vaccinations or not. It could otherwise be a problem.

bigzio

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I keep my chicks separate from my adults until they are off any medicated feed then I let them mingle together. The two coops and pens are next to each other so at least they can get familiar with each other until I let them get together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by