Mixing hen groups in new cage

I'm a bit baffled about the idea of a garden inside your apartment! Do you have photos of your setup?

Haha no prob, there it goes (its the top floor of the building). It was nicer when there was grass beneath the birds though.

Attachments

• 496D9AE2-250A-48DB-A4F6-2F9123152F94.jpeg
    496D9AE2-250A-48DB-A4F6-2F9123152F94.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
Haha no prob, there it goes (its the top floor of the building). It was nicer when there was grass beneath the birds though.
How deep is the grass and dirt area? I’m just curious. I’ve never seen an indoor enclosed garden like that. Is it supposed to be to plant things or to walk your dog? Is there a sun roof over it?

So currently I have 3 hens in a cage directly on the ground, but as I see how the soil deteriorates, and given that I have only 2 positions for it to rotate, I am seriously thinking in getting them a more typical wired based cage (sad for them though).

My question would be - if I were to do this, is it a good moment to bring more 2-3 more hens? I´ve heard about the difficluties in adding individuals, but since they would all move together at the same time to the new habitat, maybe its easier, or just some minor pecking. Thoughts?
How big is the new cage going to be in square feet? You have the best chance of them all getting along if they have plenty of space. You would want a minimum of 1 sq foot of space per bird.

When you move everyone to a new enclosure, it’s a good opportunity to add new birds because no one has established the new pen as their territory yet.

I recently read a thread about spraying the birds with ACV before combining, and I’ve done it twice so far and it seems to work. I sprayed the pen and their hides and things with ACV, I misted all the birds with acv mixed with water and then I watched and squirted anyone who tried to fight, and they are getting on fine now.

How deep is the grass and dirt area? I’m just curious. I’ve never seen an indoor enclosed garden like that. Is it supposed to be to plant things or to walk your dog? Is there a sun roof over it?

Must be about 40cm deep or so. Then again, I am in the top floor, so those garden areas have access to direct sunlight and no roof (it barely rains here in Lima). It was purposed for having grass, but I have reconverted some to have a small planting area. And quails now haha.

How big is the new cage going to be in square feet? You have the best chance of them all getting along if they have plenty of space. You would want a minimum of 1 sq foot of space per bird.

When you move everyone to a new enclosure, it’s a good opportunity to add new birds because no one has established the new pen as their territory yet.

I recently read a thread about spraying the birds with ACV before combining, and I’ve done it twice so far and it seems to work. I sprayed the pen and their hides and things with ACV, I misted all the birds with acv mixed with water and then I watched and squirted anyone who tried to fight, and they are getting on fine now.

It´s gonna be a bit bigger than what they have right now, which is 6-7 sqm (so around 2sqft per bird), so by adding a couple more would definitely not go below 1, most likely will have a bit more than 1.5 sqft per bird.

It´s gonna be a bit bigger than what they have right now, which is 6-7 sqm (so around 2sqft per bird), so by adding a couple more would definitely not go below 1, most likely will have a bit more than 1.5 sqft per bird.
I think if you move them all to the new cage at the same time, they will have the best chance of getting along. Just be careful of the poop on the wire, it can dry out and hurt their feet.

If I were you, after the new cage is ready, put the new birds in there first and then move the one from your ground pen into the new cage. Spray them all with diluted vinegar with water, you shouldn’t have any problems combine them this way.

If I were you, after the new cage is ready, put the new birds in there first and then move the one from your ground pen into the new cage. Spray them all with diluted vinegar with water, you shouldn’t have any problems combine them this way.

Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom