Mixing hen groups in new cage

Guille

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
So currently I have 3 hens in a cage directly on the ground, but as I see how the soil deteriorates, and given that I have only 2 positions for it to rotate, I am seriously thinking in getting them a more typical wired based cage (sad for them though).

My question would be - if I were to do this, is it a good moment to bring more 2-3 more hens? I´ve heard about the difficluties in adding individuals, but since they would all move together at the same time to the new habitat, maybe its easier, or just some minor pecking. Thoughts?

soil deterioration?? i need a bit more information on your set-up ie size of cage etc.....personally I keep my birds on the ground in a fixed aviary and we turn the soil every couple months with a small garden tiller (less often when quail are the only birds) and lay down a fresh mulch layer as needed.

It's better if different groups of birds can see each other with a barrier in place for at least a week. But with quail that's no guarantee that the birds will accept each other. It's best to get birds in the same colour/s as yours are as anything different will not be accepted by your hens.

Would rats potentially be a problem with a wire bottomed cage? I've had rats (which love to dine out on quail) grab birds through the wire and try to pull them through. You'll need to keep the wire clean as well because dried poop can become very sharp, potentially causing bumblefoot. I used solid wooden based cages after the rat problem with straw as bedding as they love hiding in straw.

It's better if different groups of birds can see each other with a barrier in place for at least a week. But with quail that's no guarantee that the birds will accept each other. It's best to get birds in the same colour/s as yours are as anything different will not be accepted by your hens.

Would rats potentially be a problem with a wire bottomed cage? I've had rats (which love to dine out on quail) grab birds through the wire and try to pull them through. You'll need to keep the wire clean as well because dried poop can become very sharp, potentially causing bumblefoot. I used solid wooden based cages after the rat problem with straw as bedding as they love hiding in straw.

Rat shouldnt be a problem. I live in the 5th floor of a new building, and this is in an inside garden. Haven´t seen a rat in my life close to where we live.

I'm a bit baffled about the idea of a garden inside your apartment! Do you have photos of your setup?

Haha no prob, there it goes (its the top floor of the building). It was nicer when there was grass beneath the birds though.

Attachments

• 496D9AE2-250A-48DB-A4F6-2F9123152F94.jpeg
    496D9AE2-250A-48DB-A4F6-2F9123152F94.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
Haha no prob, there it goes (its the top floor of the building). It was nicer when there was grass beneath the birds though.
How deep is the grass and dirt area? I’m just curious. I’ve never seen an indoor enclosed garden like that. Is it supposed to be to plant things or to walk your dog? Is there a sun roof over it?

So currently I have 3 hens in a cage directly on the ground, but as I see how the soil deteriorates, and given that I have only 2 positions for it to rotate, I am seriously thinking in getting them a more typical wired based cage (sad for them though).

My question would be - if I were to do this, is it a good moment to bring more 2-3 more hens? I´ve heard about the difficluties in adding individuals, but since they would all move together at the same time to the new habitat, maybe its easier, or just some minor pecking. Thoughts?
How big is the new cage going to be in square feet? You have the best chance of them all getting along if they have plenty of space. You would want a minimum of 1 sq foot of space per bird.

When you move everyone to a new enclosure, it’s a good opportunity to add new birds because no one has established the new pen as their territory yet.

I recently read a thread about spraying the birds with ACV before combining, and I’ve done it twice so far and it seems to work. I sprayed the pen and their hides and things with ACV, I misted all the birds with acv mixed with water and then I watched and squirted anyone who tried to fight, and they are getting on fine now.

Back
Top Bottom