Mixing of Bantees and Standards

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PulletSurprise, May 22, 2008.

1. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Songster

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    Hello All, right now I have 6 baby Bantees and 4 baby Standards in the brooder and all is well. When they get older, will I still be able to keep them in a coop and run together? or will I have to seperate and make another new coop and run? [​IMG]

2. MiaPia

MiaPia In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I have 7 nine-week old chicks in the same run. Four are bantams and 3 are regular size. I haven't hard any issues and I don't plan on separating them. (well, a couple are going away because they are roos, but I don't think it's a problem mixins sizes provided you haven't noticed any abuse)

3. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Songster

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I was thinking the same but you never know. It would be the one thing I was very ignorant on and would end up with a chicken brawl [​IMG] Thanks!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine are all together - I had 8 standards to start, and was given 4 bantams when my standards were about 8-9 weeks old. I just put them all together, the bantams straightened out the pecking order - now we ALL know its those little ones that rule the roost! [​IMG]

Here are some pic's of them free-ranging together
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56373

5. trishok8

trishok8 Songster

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I have 6 big girls (our name for standards) and 3 little girls and they all get along great. Our little girls snuggle right under the big girls at night. Cute!

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    When I had Silkies and Cochins I had mine all together with the standards and no problems(hatch-20wks.) I have three frizzle girls with my laying hens and the dont put up with no bull from the standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: