1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing of Bantees and Standards

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PulletSurprise, May 22, 2008.

1. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    Hello All, right now I have 6 baby Bantees and 4 baby Standards in the brooder and all is well. When they get older, will I still be able to keep them in a coop and run together? or will I have to seperate and make another new coop and run? [​IMG]

2. MiaPia

MiaPia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I have 7 nine-week old chicks in the same run. Four are bantams and 3 are regular size. I haven't hard any issues and I don't plan on separating them. (well, a couple are going away because they are roos, but I don't think it's a problem mixins sizes provided you haven't noticed any abuse)

3. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I was thinking the same but you never know. It would be the one thing I was very ignorant on and would end up with a chicken brawl [​IMG] Thanks!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine are all together - I had 8 standards to start, and was given 4 bantams when my standards were about 8-9 weeks old. I just put them all together, the bantams straightened out the pecking order - now we ALL know its those little ones that rule the roost! [​IMG]

Here are some pic's of them free-ranging together
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56373

5. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I have 6 big girls (our name for standards) and 3 little girls and they all get along great. Our little girls snuggle right under the big girls at night. Cute!

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    When I had Silkies and Cochins I had mine all together with the standards and no problems(hatch-20wks.) I have three frizzle girls with my laying hens and the dont put up with no bull from the standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by