Mixing Quail that are 3 weeks apart

Sarah1728

Chirping
May 11, 2019
I hatched 2 batches of quail. First batch is about 6 weeks old and second batch is about 3 weeks old. Would it be ok to add them together because they are close in age or should I put a cage inside the run for a while so they can interact safely?

I second controlled introduction. I reintroduced one of my quails' hatchmates after she'd been separated due to an injury, and she got bullied for several weeks. Since then we've used a small cage within the aviary to house birds who need to be separated, and they've reintegrated flawlessly.

I second controlled introduction. I reintroduced one of my quails' hatchmates after she'd been separated due to an injury, and she got bullied for several weeks. Since then we've used a small cage within the aviary to house birds who need to be separated, and they've reintegrated flawlessly.
How long do you recommend they stay in the run in a small cage before letting them out?

I'm not sure--I've only reintroduced birds who grew up with each other and were temporarily separated, not new birds. I'd probably wait at least 4-5 days and watch if there's any change in their behavior to each other to decide if they need more time. It might take a week or two, I don't know. Good luck!

So we ended up not having any issues at all. We had just enough males in our younger batch of quail to keep with all the females so we culled all the older males. I think my older females were so relieved to not have a sexually mature male around that they didn't mind all the new quail we added.

Back
Top Bottom