MJ's little flock

Was it overwhelming? I imagine myself tearful throughout from the beauty and poignancy :) It's on my bucket list and I'll get to it during my retirement boating holiday.
It was very impressive from what I recall. Most of my family went to Cambridge so I got to go to some of the associated functions.

Blimey! I'm glad there are no weasels in Australia!
A weasel has a go at a chicken here most months. I've often got a couple of chickens wandering around with no tail feathers where the weasel has taken a bite and not got any meat. I've lost chicks to weasels but only one hen as far as I know.

It's strange. All the stuff one reads about chickens attacking sick and/or injured flock members and I've never seen that here.
I've had to be quite careful when catching sick hens at times because their roosters were right on the edge of going for me.

I have never seen an example of the flock attacking a sick member. I have only seen the exact opposite.

This is something that should be on the front page of BYC. A frightening number of hens get sick and die at what are young ages compared to many of the high production hens.
Good BYC advice would be don't get high production hens, especially from hatcheries if you want them as pets, or even want your chickens to live long lives.

That would be why we moved on from leghorns. Despite how much I love their curiosity and friendliness the heartbreak of reproductive issues was too much. They were taken from us too young. No more high egg producers for us.

Back
Top Bottom