MJ's little flock

Neighbours have some & you are right in that they are pretty feral but they do seem to survive & thrive. I don't find them particularly noisy but then my tolerance for bird noises is pretty high given the variety & particular wild breeds we get around here. A flock of green Lorikeets roosting is enough to warrant ear muffs! :D They do clean up ticks & that is my main reason for wanting them. I loathe ticks!
Ugh, they sound awful. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with them.

Good evening MJ and everyone 😴

That is so pretty MJ 😍 memories will me made for sure !
I made one already last night :D I cleared out my wardrobe recently and two of my dearest friends visited for a glass of wine, some grazing on snacks, good chat, tea and a rummage through the clothes. I used the new pink cup and Louise used the the recent one with the marigolds around the rim from the 1930s. Lizzie passed on tea. Everyone went home with new (old) clothes :thumbsup

From what I have read it is more like introducing some wild animals than keeping pets. You provide extra food in winter and make sure there is water and then they do their thing. I don't think you get to know them as individuals.
They don't come to a coop so you can't protect them from predators (they roost in trees) and I don't know if I could cope with the death and destruction that would entail in my place - I am confident that the Guineas as a whole would survive and thrive but individuals would not.
So it would be more like the rabbits and the wild birds than the Princesses.
That said, I cope with the foxes catching rabbits and wild birds - one walked right by the chicken coop yesterday with a mocking bird in its mouth :( - but the difference would be that I had introduced these birds.
Hmmm. I don't know. I am very tempted as I have a horrible bug situation particularly ticks and I do think they are funny. Will investigate the noise angle too but it is not what I am most worried about.
I get it. I'd have the same thoughts.

We seem to get them coming in quite low every few weeks.
Other reasons for ours are hospital transfer ( I guess that counts as medical emergency) and Bush fire/ back burning monitoring.
That's not too bad.

Since mentioning the helicopters, I've been more attentive to them and noticed one last night but it wasn't too close to my place, maybe a couple of ks off. Loud enough to be heard but not loud enough to stir any resentment.

This kind of news is so heartening. Along with the Tasmanian Devil re-introduction to the mainland this is my favourite news this year! 🤗
Isn't it good news! We need to be doing way more, but the occasional bright story like this one is very heartening.

Neighbours have some & you are right in that they are pretty feral but they do seem to survive & thrive. I don't find them particularly noisy but then my tolerance for bird noises is pretty high given the variety & particular wild breeds we get around here. A flock of green Lorikeets roosting is enough to warrant ear muffs! :D They do clean up ticks & that is my main reason for wanting them. I loathe ticks!
Me too ! I remember finding one on my tummy when we just going back and forth and it freaked me out :( I have never had a tick until moving here !

I made one already last night :D I cleared out my wardrobe recently and two of my dearest friends visited for a glass of wine, some grazing on snacks, good chat, tea and a rummage through the clothes. I used the new pink cup and Louise used the the recent one with the marigolds around the rim from the 1930s. Lizzie passed on tea. Everyone went home with new (old) clothes :thumbsup
I love that you are already making memories 😍

Back
Top Bottom