MJ's little flock

I've just been outside to check on the nest and I couldn't hear a thing. I was worried another chick had tried to hatch and been squashed so I gently picked up Ivy for a look - this is not something I could do with Peggy who fights being picked up. There were two perfect eggs beneath her. One of them is the non-starter. The other one had an embryo when I candled it but today it shows no signs of life.

If it doesn't hatch at all, how long should I let Ivy sit and wait? Today's the 25th. Is it OK to let her sit until the 28th? She has water and chick starter within reach. I could easily replace the chick starter with proper hen food.

I think this confirms for me that I couldn't cope with trying to hatch eggs under a broody; if I feel this sad vicariously, I don't think I could do it myself! But I think you're very brave for giving it a go, and also being prepared for the worst and not over-optimistic. :hugs

I think this confirms for me that I couldn't cope with trying to hatch eggs under a broody; if I feel this sad vicariously, I don't think I could do it myself! But I think you're very brave for giving it a go, and also being prepared for the worst and not over-optimistic. :hugs
I am with you Lozzy, I am a vicarious nervous wreck! I am very admiring of MJ and how she is handling this but not for me. None of mine have ever gone broody so of course I also don't really know how I would handle the stress of that.

I've just been outside to check on the nest and I couldn't hear a thing. I was worried another chick had tried to hatch and been squashed so I gently picked up Ivy for a look - this is not something I could do with Peggy who fights being picked up. There were two perfect eggs beneath her. One of them is the non-starter. The other one had an embryo when I candled it but today it shows no signs of life.

If it doesn't hatch at all, how long should I let Ivy sit and wait? Today's the 25th. Is it OK to let her sit until the 28th? She has water and chick starter within reach. I could easily replace the chick starter with proper hen food.
Wait. I've lost track. How many days since Peggy started sitting on the viable egg?

Wait. I've lost track. How many days since Peggy started sitting on the viable egg?
I think it is Ivy who now has the viable egg and it was due to hatch yesterday or is that today (time zones are very confusing!).
Between MJ's hatching and your introduction of Betty I am all worried out so am being quite calm about the need to move Dotty into the garage knowing she will peck me and hate me forever as a result!
:lau

During one of my first hatches, it was day 25 so I tossed all of the unhatched eggs into the compost bin and moved the chicks to the brooder. A few hours later DIL heard chirping. We went in search and in the compost bin was a live chick screaming its head off. If I remember correctly, that egg was on day 26 when it hatched.

I think it is Ivy who now has the viable egg and it was due to hatch yesterday or is that today (time zones are very confusing!).
Between MJ's hatching and your introduction of Betty I am all worried out so am being quite calm about the need to move Dotty into the garage knowing she will peck me and hate me forever as a result!
:lau
Yes Ivy has it but I'm wondering how many days it has been incubating now. I thought it was day 22.

During one of my first hatches, it was day 25 so I tossed all of the unhatched eggs into the compost bin and moved the chicks to the brooder. A few hours later DIL heard chirping. We went in search and in the compost bin was a live chick screaming its head off. If I remember correctly, that egg was on day 26 when it hatched.
Oh my gosh. That's wild. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom