MJ's little flock

IMG_2022-01-29-14-59-32-832.jpg

It's the first step of the journey to the new roosting cosy corner.

The neighbour kindly let me use his enormous car to go fetch lumber. The saw guy helped me out big time with my selections.

Then I picked out the fixings and paint. Tomorrow I paint. Next Saturday I'll try some constructing.

Then I'll plan the next step.

Maybe just let her live through it until her three weeks are up then start putting her on the roost at night after dark. After a few nights she might stay up all day.

At least, this tactic works with Mary, Ivy and now Peggy too.

That way the hens learn about sitting and self care. So if you ever decide to try a hatch, the hen will have good basics established.

Not that it's a guarantee of things going well.
Yes, very good advice. Being back at work I can’t lock her out of the coop all day with Snow needing to lay.
She’s chosen her box out of the 3 😂💜
F371A6BA-0FC8-4F62-9D20-AC4200271679.jpeg

View attachment 2976433

The neighbour kindly let me use his enormous car to go fetch lumber. The saw guy helped me out big time with my selections.

Then I picked out the fixings and paint. Tomorrow I paint. Next Saturday I'll try some constructing.

Oooo, exciting!

Maybe just let her live through it until her three weeks are up then start putting her on the roost at night after dark. After a few nights she might stay up all day.

At least, this tactic works with Mary, Ivy and now Peggy too.

That way the hens learn about sitting and self care. So if you ever decide to try a hatch, the hen will have good basics established.

Not that it's a guarantee of things going well.
Whenever I do the roost after dark she’s back in the box within minutes.
The force is strong with this one 🤭

Even after three weeks of sitting? Far out. I have not known that much determination!
The first time I let her sit for 3 weeks, getting her out each day because I couldn’t be sure she was doing it herself.
That’s why I eventually got the cage because she was having none of it!
This time I might let her get herself up and see what happens. I’ll weigh her in the morning so I have a good gauge of where she’s starting at, I’m due to weigh them both again anyway.
She’s shifted to the middle box for the night hahaha

The first time I let her sit for 3 weeks, getting her out each day because I couldn’t be sure she was doing it herself.
That’s why I eventually got the cage because she was having none of it!
This time I might let her get herself up and see what happens. I’ll weigh her in the morning so I have a good gauge of where she’s starting at, I’m due to weigh them both again anyway.
She’s shifted to the middle box for the night hahaha
I have found the hens will get up when hungry but sometimes they go a few days in a row without moving.

I haven't been able to get comfy with the idea of getting them up. I know lots more experienced people than I get them up and I did it myself the first time Ivy went broody, but it feels all wrong. How can I possibly know if a hen is hungry or not? They don't need energy when they sit all day. Also, I would never disturb a person when they're in the zone and I can easily extend that respect to the hens. It's taken me a while to learn to trust them, but the hens at my house seem to take good care of themselves if given a chance to develop their independence.

Good morning/evening MJ and everyone 😊😴

Thank you so much!

Thank you! I will! Thanks.

Thanks!

Thank you! Awesome! I would!

View attachment 2976433

I'm excited to see your handiwork 🤓

Back
Top Bottom