MJ's little flock

In the little coop, Mary was surprisingly ok, but she'd have been panting earlier in the day.

Chicks tomorrow? They're due Sunday. Maybe Monday?

View attachment 3332596
So much to think and get excited about !! Are you dreaming of chickens 😉 ?

Mary looks pretty good I think after almost three weeks brooding. Her feathers are still gleaming.

So much to think and get excited about !! Are you dreaming of chickens 😉 ?

Mary looks pretty good I think after almost three weeks brooding. Her feathers are still gleaming.
It is a very full agenda, but I'll get through it.

The trip to Sydney and the river chickens have added that extra zing, not that it was needed!

I think she's pulled through just fine. I have never noticed a hen struggle through brooding. They don't eat much, but why would they if they don't need energy? However, I try to take note of when she gets up for self-care because I like to know that she's eaten at least once in the last few days, and I'd get her up if I thought it was necessary.

I remember now, one time Mary was sitting on a shallow nest and got cramp in her legs, but that was sorted out by adding a thick layer of straw. She was fine after that.

Last edited:
Awww. Thanks for asking. Diana’s molt continues apace but I do see new feathers and she is eating so hopefully is OK. I more worry about her in spring if she tries to lay again. She no longer puts shells on her eggs and I think she was laying internally. We take one day at a time.
She does seem to have figured out how to keep Bernie away from her favorite roosting spot so she is asserting herself which is good.
It is cold but not insanely cold so I am hoping she gets new feathers before we go into single digits Fahrenheit.
if you don't mind me asking, what made you think she was laying internally? She might be a good candidate for a hysterectomy, if that's something you'd consider.

Is Bernie thriving?

The river chickens are ok this morning! It's much cooler in the laundry and I've turned the fan off. The long term forecast says the temps will atay in the 20s C until after next Friday. I hope they'll be in the sleepout by then, which is far more spacious, more ventilated, and can be kept cooler.

A few long-term predictions.

Lorna and Ivy will be friends but Peggy won't like it at first.

Edie and Katie will remain friends.

Joyce will team up with Ivy and Lorna.

Christa will team up with Janet and Mary.

Peggy is going to be cranky for maybe six months. Then she may settle down a little.

At some point Edie and Peggy will have a humdinger of a scuffle. Feathers will be spat from Peggy's beak. One of them will be humiliated.

if you don't mind me asking, what made you think she was laying internally? She might be a good candidate for a hysterectomy, if that's something you'd consider.

Is Bernie thriving?
I know she has reproductive issues because she can never get a shelled egg even though I have given her a lot of calcium.
My fear about internal laying is that she was going into the nest box and sitting for quite a while but not producing anything. I hope she is simply post-menopausal and a bit wistful, but I am mentally prepared for the worst.
Right now she is not doing any laying for which I am very grateful even though it means I have to buy eggs from the lady down the road.

Back
Top Bottom