MJ's little flock

Christa laid a strange egg today. It has a crumpled point.

IMG_2023-02-02-20-00-07-491.jpg

IMG_2023-02-02-20-00-18-901.jpg

Does the point come out last or first?

Christa laid a strange egg today. It has a crumpled point.

View attachment 3393253

View attachment 3393252

Does the point come out last or first?
The point comes out last. It's first in the oviduct but the egg is most often thought to turn around before coming out , although apparently there are some contradicting point of views.

Regular laying of wrinkled egg is also supposed to be associated with stress or IB. My hen Caramel used to lay eggs like this very often even when she was very young, I don't know if it has any correlation to her dying of EYP. If it's just once in a while and most of her eggs are normal I wouldn't worry for Christa.

The point comes out last. It's first in the oviduct but the egg is most often thought to turn around before coming out , although apparently there are some contradicting point of views.

Regular laying of wrinkled egg is also supposed to be associated with stress or IB. My hen Caramel used to lay eggs like this very often even when she was very young, I don't know if it has any correlation to her dying of EYP. If it's just once in a while and most of her eggs are normal I wouldn't worry for Christa.
Well, as her stress has gradually been reducing it must be IB. In which case, it may spread to the others.

This is strengthening my resolve to take a break from chickens once today's hens are no longer with us, kill off bacteria in the chicken run, put a green mulch in it to remediate it, then hatch a clutch of eggs in an incubator and keep a closed flock of healthy hens. It'll be a long journey but worthwhile as I age.

Back
Top Bottom