MJ's little flock

The hens here all seemed to like Harold, Blue Spots partner, even the Marans hens. Watching Harold it was easy to see why. He was a gentleman silly though that may sound. He had no shortage of hens wanting to move in with him, but Blue Spot had the final say.
Nothing silly about gentlemanly conduct. Women and hens are vulnerable and many women and children (and some men too) die every year from domestic violence in Australia. Gentlemanly conduct is safe conduct.

Never feel guilty about breaks when working extended hours.

Good here. Trying to teach my bosses about the need for consistent, repeatable business rules. Seems like a foreign concept to them.
I'm stunned they don't already know it.

I actually laughed when I read the studies. What if roosters with bigger wattles have nicer personalities or tell better jokes? Maybe roosters with big wattles are more likely to listen and be sympathetic. :confused:

Aren't human females attracted to men with great personalities and senses of humor? (and backyard chickens of course)
:lau
Evolutionarily though you would expect hens to prefer roosters with bigger wattles and combs. It takes energy to grow them and so there must be an advantage to the rooster from a genetic persistence point of view.

It's become a routine now. The other day I shut the human access door and walked away. It took about half an hour before she finally came out shouting the house down.
I give her the opportunity to make her own way every morning. The door is quite wide and if I'm not showing signs of picking her up, she moves to the side of the entrance closest to me and stands right on the edge waiting. She sort of burbles away to herself when I carry her.:love
Oh burbles are just the best sound. You are extremely honored.

I thought of the new henhouse I'm dreaming up, which gets fancier by the day.

It recently dawned on me that it would be convenient to place the roosting box between two runs :) then I could use dividers when integrating new friends
Beware. I have been down that path of dreaming up hen houses. The result? A Chicken Palace!

I'm stunned they don't already know it.
My immediate boss understands it, and the good news is he's fighting for me. But I smell political undercurrents from his boss. She likes to change the business rules to paint the picture she wants to paint. When I first started working here, I documented all of the business rules that came from my training, and then we amended them as things became clearer. He loved the consistent reporting and being able to point to a set of rules on how we report. Sometimes the rules were challenged and senior leadership made changes, but they were still documented and audit-able. When he went through our first audit after implementing those rules, it was a breeze. All of that has been tossed in favor of a "new system/report" and the rules appear to be different for every organization. I'm pushing with his help to standardize across the organization.

Back
Top Bottom