MJ's little flock

Peggy squatted today

You're going to need more info. First of all, it was the first time she squatted for me. Secondly, she and I were in an unusual context.

Now that Ivy is a confident layer, she has resumed her fence hopping. It pays off because she found the lettuce seedlings. Anyway, Peggy took note and followed suit.

The last three days straight, I've found them digging for bugs outside the chicken yard. Ivy knows the routine for hopping back in: I follow her at a calm-inducing distance and she jogs from wherever she is, around the back of the henhouse, hops up onto the big half wine barrel planter, then over the fence, back into the chicken yard. We go through this routine with a lot of calm and camaraderie, which is ideal for showing Peggy how it's done.

Best laid plans...

Anyway, Peggy does not understand the point of hopping up on the half wine barrel. Instead, she runs behind it, where it's easy for me to corner her and therefore it's easy for her to panic.

So I've taken a slowly-slowly approach. Talking quietly, I slowly bend forward and get my hand under her. She has to step on my hand, there's no other choice. Usually, I gently lift her out from behind the wine barrel and over the fence, with Peggy holding my hand with her feet like it's a branch.

This morning, her grip wasn't steady, so I disembarked her onto the soil contained by the wine barrel. That's when she squatted. So I stroked her back and felt her keel and tickled her neck, before taking her up onto my hand again and over the fence.

She stood on my hand for a while before hopping off and giving herself a good shake.

Janet was on the other side of the fence the whole time, chattering away. She showed Peggy the shake, then Peggy did the shake. I wonder what other advice she was providing.

Anyway, that's the story of Peggy's first squat.

Isn't that the post-mating shake? She's rejecting your contribution to babies. :lau

I'm sure @Shadrach can describe it in more detail!

Peggy squatted today

You're going to need more info. First of all, it was the first time she squatted for me. Secondly, she and I were in an unusual context.

Now that Ivy is a confident layer, she has resumed her fence hopping. It pays off because she found the lettuce seedlings. Anyway, Peggy took note and followed suit.

The last three days straight, I've found them digging for bugs outside the chicken yard. Ivy knows the routine for hopping back in: I follow her at a calm-inducing distance and she jogs from wherever she is, around the back of the henhouse, hops up onto the big half wine barrel planter, then over the fence, back into the chicken yard. We go through this routine with a lot of calm and camaraderie, which is ideal for showing Peggy how it's done.

Best laid plans...

Anyway, Peggy does not understand the point of hopping up on the half wine barrel. Instead, she runs behind it, where it's easy for me to corner her and therefore it's easy for her to panic.

So I've taken a slowly-slowly approach. Talking quietly, I slowly bend forward and get my hand under her. She has to step on my hand, there's no other choice. Usually, I gently lift her out from behind the wine barrel and over the fence, with Peggy holding my hand with her feet like it's a branch.

This morning, her grip wasn't steady, so I disembarked her onto the soil contained by the wine barrel. That's when she squatted. So I stroked her back and felt her keel and tickled her neck, before taking her up onto my hand again and over the fence.

She stood on my hand for a while before hopping off and giving herself a good shake.

Janet was on the other side of the fence the whole time, chattering away. She showed Peggy the shake, then Peggy did the shake. I wonder what other advice she was providing.

Anyway, that's the story of Peggy's first squat.
I love it. You are now her honorary rooster. Congratulations! 🎉

Back
Top Bottom