MJ's little flock

I gave Mary a bath

Mary was recently found to have a round worm burden. The whole flock was wormed (I think - I tried my best and they definitely swallowed a little medicated water but there's still the follow up flotation test on the cards).

Anyway, Mary got poopy buttbutt real bad. And that's not ok with her orpington fluff. There were big clods hanging down and pulling on her fluff. She wasn't joyful.

She needed a bath and after my recent successful foray into chook bathing with Sandy, I was ready to take her on.

A few important differences:

Sandy Mary
Small. Large
Tame. Wild
Poopy bum Poopmageddon
Sweetheart. Bold.

With these constraints in place, I came up with a plan to put Mary in a plastic cat carry box with a folded over towel in the bottom to prevent damage to her claws, then put the whole box in the bathtub (it doesn't fit in the kitchen or laundry sinks).

Good plan.

Except for the first part.

Luckily my brother popped in to provide some kitchen scraps. He was recruited into service. We each took a small panel of fence and crept up on her, eventually cornering her. She wasn't at all happy. After a few failures, I got her wings held down then I picked her up and placed her gently in the cat box.

I'm always very gentle with the hens but Mary still thinks I'm an axe murderer.

Once she was in the box, she calmed right down. I put the box in the tub and started the taps. No problem.

Then she soaked while the poop clods softened. Whenever I could trick her into not poking her head out of the cat box, I sneaked my hand in to check on progress. Eventually 90% of the pooperama was gone. I thought we were really pushing it with her in the water for so long, so I pulled the plug, tipped the box to get the worst of the water out, and placed the box on the floor.

Like many before her, she seemed to really enjoy the hairdryer :confused:

After 40 minutes, I carried her out and opened the box.

She didn't even say "it's good to be back in the yard" she just walked away like nothing happened.

Lovely to read about your chickens MaryJanet. I think Mary is my favourite... I love that iridescent colour:love I'm going to have to put some thought into names for my lot once we determine he's and she's... My son wanted to give them Lion King names but he's 4 and has jumbled a lot of the names together so that they all sounded rather similar. Might need some further thought :confused:

Aww thank you! She's a very beautiful hen :love but quite fiesty!

I reckon jumbled lion king names sound awesome! Yay for 4 year olds :D I'm looking forward to reading more about your chooks!

Are you living under the usual "good neighbour" noise regulations? Here, I can keep a rooster if he's quiet, but I'm not inclined to try because I'm not into breeding and culling. I wonder how many of your youngsters will be roosters.

Aww thank you! She's a very beautiful hen :love but quite fiesty!

I reckon jumbled lion king names sound awesome! Yay for 4 year olds :D I'm looking forward to reading more about your chooks!

Are you living under the usual "good neighbour" noise regulations? Here, I can keep a rooster if he's quiet, but I'm not inclined to try because I'm not into breeding and culling. I wonder how many of your youngsters will be roosters.

We are in a suburban residential areas so the official rules are no roosters :hit

However, we aren't exactly in a elite area and there are plenty of chickens around - I have heard other roosters around the block. Our immediate neighbours are pretty nice so I'm thinking I could possibly get away with keeping 1 boy depending on how noisy he is.
I am pretty sure I have at least 2, and possibly 4, roosters out of my 6 though :th. I've already arranged with mum, who lives on acreage, to sneak one into her pen when dad isn't looking but I might have to do some searching for homes for any extras!

I gave Mary a bath

Mary was recently found to have a round worm burden. The whole flock was wormed (I think - I tried my best and they definitely swallowed a little medicated water but there's still the follow up flotation test on the cards).

Anyway, Mary got poopy buttbutt real bad. And that's not ok with her orpington fluff. There were big clods hanging down and pulling on her fluff. She wasn't joyful.

She needed a bath and after my recent successful foray into chook bathing with Sandy, I was ready to take her on.

A few important differences:

Sandy Mary
Small. Large
Tame. Wild
Poopy bum Poopmageddon
Sweetheart. Bold.

With these constraints in place, I came up with a plan to put Mary in a plastic cat carry box with a folded over towel in the bottom to prevent damage to her claws, then put the whole box in the bathtub (it doesn't fit in the kitchen or laundry sinks).

Good plan.

Except for the first part.

Luckily my brother popped in to provide some kitchen scraps. He was recruited into service. We each took a small panel of fence and crept up on her, eventually cornering her. She wasn't at all happy. After a few failures, I got her wings held down then I picked her up and placed her gently in the cat box.

I'm always very gentle with the hens but Mary still thinks I'm an axe murderer.

Once she was in the box, she calmed right down. I put the box in the tub and started the taps. No problem.

Then she soaked while the poop clods softened. Whenever I could trick her into not poking her head out of the cat box, I sneaked my hand in to check on progress. Eventually 90% of the pooperama was gone. I thought we were really pushing it with her in the water for so long, so I pulled the plug, tipped the box to get the worst of the water out, and placed the box on the floor.

Like many before her, she seemed to really enjoy the hairdryer :confused:

After 40 minutes, I carried her out and opened the box.

She didn't even say "it's good to be back in the yard" she just walked away like nothing happened.

"Poopmageddon" now that a visual! :gig:gig

Great job! Way to be creative in order to get the job done! That's the hallmark of a great chicken owner.

My commitments didn't allow me to give her a nighttime bath, it couldn't wait another week, and I knew she'd turn up the fiestyness volume up to 11 if she was touched too much. So the cat box plan came into effect.

She won't be touched. I'm not sure what happened to her in her childhood, but she refuses to be touched. Even softly touching her is out of the question. The only time I'm allowed is when she's eating egg and salmon, and even then she allows only a soft touch under her belly, but nothing over her back. Her breeder had a highly unsociable character. I wonder if he was mean to his chooks.

Back
Top Bottom