MJ's little flock

Come to think of it Shad, would you have written an article on how chickens age by any chance?
I've written a section for the book on it. For me it's quite a personal thing. Very difficult to explain. I see the chickens come into the world and I see them leave. Not many make it to what I, and others, call old age.
A good age for a bantam for example is about twelve years old. Blue spot was close when she died.
However, my sisters eldest was sixteen years old when she died. Granted that is exceptional; the equivalent of a human reaching 110 more, or less. Her next eldest to die was thirteen I think.
By BYC standards I've had a lot of old chickens; seven and eight year olds. Fat Bird will be ten years old in a couple of weeks. Mel is a bit over two.
I'm not going to write a BYC article on the subject. I'm not really ready to write about the dead.

There is a tornado on the ground about 60 miles from here. It's going to be a wild and woolly weather day before all is said and done. How about some rain for my friends in Australia?
View attachment 2020445

We’ve got plenty where we are at the moment, but thanks. ;)

You need some ducks for the pond on your pool cover!

I've written a section for the book on it. For me it's quite a personal thing. Very difficult to explain. I see the chickens come into the world and I see them leave. Not many make it to what I, and others, call old age.
A good age for a bantam for example is about twelve years old. Blue spot was close when she died.
However, my sisters eldest was sixteen years old when she died. Granted that is exceptional; the equivalent of a human reaching 110 more, or less. Her next eldest to die was thirteen I think.
By BYC standards I've had a lot of old chickens; seven and eight year olds. Fat Bird will be ten years old in a couple of weeks. Mel is a bit over two.
I'm not going to write a BYC article on the subject. I'm not really ready to write about the dead.

Happy birthday to Fat Bird in a couple of weeks! :love

Good call. I see how it would be an unnessary burden.

I'm now certain Peggy lays blue eggs. I noticed her getting anxious, making a nest, then she disappeared into it. I waited, did a few chores in the henhouse and yard (Ivy has a sturdy branch to roost on tonight and the young peacherine's roots are protected from Janet's enthusiastic dust bathing), waited some more... She emerged and there it was, another blue egg. She laid it in the nest box of the little coop.

IMG20200208081224.jpg

Back
Top Bottom