MJ's little flock

Oh, don't get me wrong, antibiotics can be a life saver in many cases.
I'm not for a moment suggesting that any of the above applies to your chickens.
It's just interesting to make a comparison, for me anyway, in the different keeping methods and attitudes. Sick hens get killed here. Nobody I know takes a sick hen to the vet. Injured hens that are kept by enthusiasts are very well cared for from what I can gather and some do get given antibiotics, but they have a similar arrangement with livestock, or Park vets that I have with Gloria now. I can ring and ask for a prescription without taking the bird to her.
It's very interesting. Chickens are not indigenous to Australia, so I doubt there are any wild or kept-wild flocks (like your's). Any genuinely free chickens would have been wiped out by dingoes and foxes. Drought. Fire. Flood.

For Aussies it comes down to how well you want to treat other creatures. For some of us the answer is extremely well and others just don't care.

I hope the chickens at my house see me as a benevolent provider and I think Sandy sees me as a friend. They seem content.

It's very interesting. Chickens are not indigenous to Australia, so I doubt there are any wild or kept-wild flocks (like your's). Any genuinely free chickens would have been wiped out by dingoes and foxes. Drought. Fire. Flood.

For Aussies it comes down to how well you want to treat other creatures. For some of us the answer is extremely well and others just don't care.

I hope the chickens at my house see me as a benevolent provider and I think Sandy sees me as a friend. They seem content.
okay somebody educate me here... Implants ? are we talking about some sort of hormone birth control to stop them from ovulating ??

Oh there are feral type flocks in Australia. I'm in contact with two people who keep them. There was also a guy in Tasmania would had near identical setup to mine but he hasn't been in touch for a couple of years.

Oh there are feral type flocks in Australia. I'm in contact with two people who keep them. There was also a guy in Tasmania would had near identical setup to mine but he hasn't been in touch for a couple of years.
Cool!

okay somebody educate me here... Implants ? are we talking about some sort of hormone birth control to stop them from ovulating ??
@LozzyR knows about implants.

Hi @pspatbyc ! :frow My ex-battery Isa Brown hen, Chickie, is three years old and started showing signs of egg production problems, which usually leads to egg yolk peritonitis and death. I thought long and hard about it but got my vet to insert a Suprelorin implant into her. Made for male dogs to reduce hormone-related aggression, you can also implant it into hens to stop their egg cycle. But where you get 12 months effectiveness for a dog, you only get 6-10 months for a
hen. They are several hundred dollars each and you may need at least two. @micstrachan has also had experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom