MJ's little flock

I've been waiting a month for her to climb up. Maybe this week?

Yes, her tail had been plucked down to the skin so I sprayed her with cetrigen for a week or so. The culprit was Peggy the bantam. These days she still eats feathers off the ground but she doesn't pluck other chickens. She eats proper food too but it's taken a while for her to lock in her feeding habits. Janet helped her work it out. Here's three of them tucking in last night, Mary was eating hers too, but I couldn't fit her in the shot.

View attachment 2072688
Wait, everyone gets their own dish?!

Wait, everyone gets their own dish?!
Ummm maybe I'm too pedantic about the chickens getting a fair share? One dish each means there's always a dish for Ivy.

It's surprising how much it calmed them down.

They can eat all day long if they want to. There's one dispenser with grain mix and another with pellets.

But they love their dishes of mash in the evenings. I figure the extra water can't hurt.

Janet eats all of hers before walking off. Peggy needs to push Ivy off. Mary has always been a delicate eater who pigs out every few days, but she'll eat from the dispensers more often. Ivy eats from whichever dish is available.

Peggy has caught up with Janet

IMG_20200403_114104.jpg

Seemed a good opportunity to practice my @BY Bob egg snap skills.

IMG_20200403_113050.jpg

Ummm maybe I'm too pedantic about the chickens getting a fair share? One dish each means there's always a dish for Ivy.

It's surprising how much it calmed them down.

They can eat all day long if they want to. There's one dispenser with grain mix and another with pellets.

But they love their dishes of mash in the evenings. I figure the extra water can't hurt.

Janet eats all of hers before walking off. Peggy needs to push Ivy off. Mary has always been a delicate eater who pigs out every few days, but she'll eat from the dispensers more often. Ivy eats from whichever dish is available.
I use two or three per tribe.

From your photos, there's a lot more forage at your place.
True, but I think you've misunderstood me. A feeding point per chicken is something I would do given a small semi contained flock. 3 bowls per tribe here is just about enough to ensure everyone get to eat properly. The problem is the more senior get to eat first and when the tribe moves off the juniors are left with the choice of eating or moving with the tribe if there are not enough feeding points.

True, but I think you've misunderstood me. A feeding point per chicken is something I would do given a small semi contained flock. 3 bowls per tribe here is just about enough to ensure everyone get to eat properly. The problem is the more senior get to eat first and when the tribe moves off the juniors are left with the choice of eating or moving with the tribe if there are not enough feeding points.
Oh I see what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom