MJ's little flock

No the pancreatic insufficiency. Apparently it happens to pigeons as well as chickens. I thought you may have encountered it before

OK, yeah I had to trace back aways in the thread but I did finally see Peggy was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency. Thankfully my flock has been free of this. I will hold Peggy in my thoughts. Any possibility fermented feed might be helpful to her? :confused:

OK, yeah I had to trace back aways in the thread but I did finally see Peggy was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency. Thankfully my flock has been free of this. I will hold Peggy in my thoughts. Any possibility fermented feed might be helpful to her? :confused:
I'm not familiar with fermented feed, but all her meals are a wet mash of pellets and grains - is that the same as fermented feed? She does a lot of grazing too and she has access to dry pellets and grains all day long.

I'm not familiar with fermented feed, but all her meals are a wet mash of pellets and grains - is that the same as fermented feed? She does a lot of grazing too and she has access to dry pellets and grains all day long.
The wet mash is very close. By leaving it sit a day or two until you get little bubbles, that's what most people think of as fermented. I would think it's richer in enzymes than regular, I bet Bob would know. It can have a strong smell to it but the chooks seem to enjoy it. I used to feed it to my chickens when I had them. Advantage - can be consumed by any flock members without harm. Some people claim they produce better eggs on fermented feed but I'm skeptical about that without evidence. :)

Last edited:
The wet mash is very close. By leaving it sit a day or two until you get little bubbles, that's what most people think of as fermented. I would think it's richer in enzymes than regular, I bet Bob would know. It can have a strong smell to it but the chooks seem to enjoy it. I used to feed it to my chickens when I had them. Advantage - can be consumed by any flock members without harm. Some people claim they produce better eggs on fermented feed but I'm skeptical about that without evidence. :)
Thanks! I'll talk it over with the vet next time we visit.

Isn't the internet wonderful sometimes. You post a picture with an old sewing machine in the background. Someone in Spain spots it in the background and comments on it. They suggest that their may be a fan belt that fits that. You google it, belt found. Before you know it you machine is running again.

This is the beauty of what the internet can be.

Isn't the internet wonderful sometimes. You post a picture with an old sewing machine in the background. Someone in Spain spots it in the background and comments on it. They suggest that their may be a fan belt that fits that. You google it, belt found. Before you know it you machine is running again.

This is the beauty of what the internet can be.
Not to mention help from a microbiologist from time to time :) yep, the internet is powerful tool!

Back
Top Bottom