MJ's little flock

@Shadrach I have to ask you a walnut question .. .. clearly your hens love walnuts and walnuts feature in your posts so I assume you have walnut trees nearby. For the chickens, do you shell the walnuts? Chop them? Or do they eat their way through the fruit without help.
I have a black walnut tree and in October it rains down a terrifying arsenal of walnuts. I am always terrified to walk under it because one of those falling from 100' up onto your head would not be good.
Anyway, the walnuts mainly go to waste because getting at the nut inside is so difficult. I am wondering if the chickens love walnuts whether I would give it a go this year.
A little late (or perhaps timely for the upcoming drop) , We use a seafood cracker tool
1592437874567.png
1592437972319.png
to open nuts (strong hands required LOL) . Alternately I use a pair of water pump pliers
1592438941071.png
or wide mouth visegrips pliers
1592438749818.png
trick is to crack but not crush the nut. Need a little frustration releif ? you can use any of the tools as a hammer but no guarentees as to where your nut may land LOL

A little late (or perhaps timely for the upcoming drop) , We use a seafood cracker tool View attachment 2200012 View attachment 2200020to open nuts (strong hands required LOL) . Alternately I use a pair of water pump pliers View attachment 2200051 or wide mouth visegrips pliers View attachment 2200041 trick is to crack but not crush the nut. Need a little frustration releif ? you can use any of the tools as a hammer but no guarentees as to where your nut may land LOL
I remember my dad used to use the vise on his work bench. Just slooooowly tighten it until the nut cracked 😊

Wow! Peggy nailed the separate-together dining arrangement tonight! She saw me coming and ran into the henhouse, was patient while I scooted Janet and Ivy out of the henhouse, then she tucked into her enzyme dinner the moment I placed it down for her.

Cool, calm and collected. What a champ!

Wow! Peggy nailed the separate-together dining arrangement tonight! She saw me coming and ran into the henhouse, was patient while I scooted Janet and Ivy out of the henhouse, then she tucked into her enzyme dinner the moment I placed it down for her.

Cool, calm and collected. What a champ!
You've trained each other beautifully! 🤗

Back
Top Bottom