MJ's little flock

m/Websters says: an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech...
Not sure that really helps. Rhyming slang is downright peculiar & true Aussie slang is almost incomprehensible to outsiders. It's almost its own language. Sadly we are loosing that uniqueness with the Americanisation of the world through the media.
I feel like I should apologize. I'm not sure why. :confused:

It's something the government put into the deal when they sold our electricity infrastructure to the highest bidder. There's no compensation if electricity's out for less than 24 hours, but it escalates after that. So they restore power to the biggest patches first. We were a tiny patch, only 30 homes, so they left us til last.
To be fair the leccy here when it goes off isn't off for long. But it does go off on a regular basis; every major storm seems to do the trick.

m/Websters says: an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech...
Not sure that really helps. Rhyming slang is downright peculiar & true Aussie slang is almost incomprehensible to outsiders. It's almost its own language. Sadly we are loosing that uniqueness with the Americanisation of the world through the media.
I was invited to a class of Catalan students who were due to take their advanced English exams.
The idea was to hear what 'common' English sounded like. Okay, I did lay it on a bit thick by doing a bit of a sketch/monologue of trying to buy a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea at an East End Cafe. It was hilarious and went a long way to illustrate the shortcomings of learning English from English teachers. Hardly any of the students managed to get what they were trying to order.

Back
Top Bottom