MJ's little flock

Thanks MJ. These 3 threads (by you, by bob and ribh) along with hatching kept me sane. It sort of feels like crashing a party to jump in but you are all so lovely. Thank you everyone.
Louwin, I crashed the party, too, and now they’re my home on BYC. Lovely group and I’m glad you’ve joined!

Team MJ!

View attachment 2433813

There's always one who blinks. Or sticks their beak between their legs, as the case may be.
This is why I have a sound I make that causes them all to freeze and look at me. If left to their own devices they always do this. :barnie

What a beautiful flock. Can you believe they all like each other enough to hang out like this!

My very 1st lot of 6 ~ & I'm pretty sure the gift giver knew ~ were all cockerels!!!! When they all started to crow it was not good news! That's the only time I've had chicks. :lol:
In total there have been 8 sexed chicks that have come to live at Fluffy Butt Acres. 1 cockerel out of 8.

Well, it was an acquaintance who made it clear she wouldn't take them back. My Campine breeder won't take cockerels back either so another reason for no chicks. It doesn't pay to be male in the chickening world.
Sadly no. And they can be so sweet.......Ned
20200822_083222.jpg

So, does that mean that Jabber was a Cream Legbar? Sorry, I still can't remember all the breeds everyone has.
He really was a handsome boy wasn't he?
Jabber was an Easter Egger and my first attempt at colored eggs. He and Hattie came together as chicks. 50/50 on the sexing.

20200426_065036.jpg

I don't think he was. I have a feeling he was supposed to be an EE hen & lay coloured eggs for Bob... :duc
You are correct. He is responsible for my flock problems now.

How can that be you might ask? Let me explain

When Daisy, the greatest hen ever passed we were back to 2 hens, Patsy and Lilly. I had decided when I got Lilly that I wanted to have at least 3 hens at all times. I did not want to be forced into finding a lone hen if something would happen. So I did not wish to stay at 2. Well I did not want to raise 1 chick alone, so I had to add 2. Well chicken math continued. I considered that chicks are very fragile so I better get 3. My fear of raising a lone chick was real. So what breeds?

I had been on BYC by this point and 2 breeds had drawn my eye, the super friendly orpington and colored egg laying Easter Egger. Mrs BY Bob was not certain about this colored egg business, so 1 EE, 2 Orpingtons. The prettiest of the Orpingtons in my opinion was the lavender, so 2 lavender Orpington chicks.

Sadly, as I feared, one of the orpington chicks passed on day 2. So we were left with Hattie and Jabberwocky. Now the chick's sex were guaranteed so I got a full refund for Jabber but no colored eggs.

At this point I was obsessed with colored eggs and very disappointed. To avoid a repeat of Jabberwocky, I purchased 2 (must have a min of 2 to raise together), 6 week old pullets. These would be Maleficent and Aurora.

Out of 3 EEs added, I have 1 left and no colored eggs. If Jabberwocky had just been a hen, I would not have Aurora terrorizing my flock right now. I blame him.

Poor ByBob. One day he will get his blue or green or pink eggs.
Frost or Cream Legbars will be next. There is a risk of non blue eggs with the frost legbars but not with the cream. I fear and hope (at the same time) I am a long way from more chickens. The flock is too big right now. I want to get back to 4 or 5. I believe that there are fewer behavioral issues with fewer hens and they are wearing me out right now. Of course with any additions, I need to add another Polish first. For poor Phyllis.

Back
Top Bottom