MJ's little flock

Cillin, waitng for me to put the nest box cover on so he can get some sleep.
P2270543.JPG

I don't think that you should worry about Myth. I truly believe that what happened with her is very rare. I would consider not a lot of eggs though. Fewer chicks should be easier. That's one of the reason I only gave Sydney 3 eggs. That and I didn't want 5 roosters to deal with.
They seem to sell them by the half dozen. I could always ask for fewer.

Mary

Mary is a black Australorp. She is the prettiest of my three chickens with iridescent black plumage and big black eyes that go blink-blink in a very charming way.

Favourite hobby: drinking. Mary is a waterholic.

Favourite saying: wohr-wohr

Rank: formerly Lieutenant, now Captain. Captain's rank was obtained by strategically using her weight, agility and determination to obtain the top spot on the roost from the disgraced former Captain, Janet.

Named after: Mary is named after Mary Kopscanyi. Mary Kopscanyi was my Nana's great-niece. Mary showed me kindness and love from the day I was born until the day she died. Her house is across the street from my house (both houses were built at the same time by the same person - my great-great uncle) but it is now owned by a lovely young family of four. Mary's house was built for her grandmother, Sarah, who was my grandmother's oldest sister. Tragically, Mary's mother died young, so Sarah provided Mary with a loving home and family life. Mary passed away quite suddenly in 2016, although she was well into her 80s. Her husband, Frank, died in 2017. They are both survived by their daughter Elizabeth who I don't call often enough. I'll call her today. Mary the chicken helps me keep Mary Kopscanyi's memory alive.

View attachment 1922925

For background, here are the other profiles.
That’s an awesome pic!!! I can’t seem to capture that color shine as well as you did! I have four girls like her🙂

Hmmm the eggs might have to wait for a hen to become broody. How long do fertile eggs keep for? Is it the same as unfertile eggs? Does the incidence of birth defects increase as eggs age?
Those are things I will need to research. Thanks for occupying my Sunday.

Hmmm the eggs might have to wait for a hen to become broody. How long do fertile eggs keep for? Is it the same as unfertile eggs? Does the incidence of birth defects increase as eggs age?

It has been noticed that fertility decreases with age. Fertile eggs are best stored point down at room temperature or slightly cooler. I actually hatched an egg that was in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. The chick was perfect and grew into a beautiful banty roo.

I honestly can't say about true birth defects, but things like splay leg or unabsorbed yolk sack are humidity and temperature related.

Back
Top Bottom