MJ's little flock

[Ummm ... maybe Sandy's profile needs a trigger warning - it gets a bit poignant when I describe who she's named after]

Sandy

Sandy is a red hybrid layer. She was found loitering on the streets and placed into my care when her humans could not be located. Technically, she's a foster-chicken but I don't expect anyone to take her away. She moved in with us on Sunday April 13 2019 and, like a trooper, provided her first egg on Tuesday April 15.

Favourite hobby: daydreaming.

Favourite saying: rrrr-rrrr (very softly, while laying)

Rank: civilian passenger generally getting underfoot on the ship. Gets told off every day.

Named after: Sandy is named after Aunty Sandy who tragically took her own life when she could no longer fight to make sense of the cruelties of her childhood. Her husband was mum's brother. This all happened a long time ago - in 1992 if I recall correctly. She left two young daughters, Rachel and Laura. Rachel and I are great friends and I have almost persuaded her to get her own chicken flock. Laura was very young when her mum died and needed to break with the family in order to spread her wings. I trust that she is healthy and happy and living her best life. Sandy the chicken, just like Mary, helps me keep Aunty Sandy's memory alive (I don't need help keeping mum's memory alive).

IMG20190521143141.jpg

For background, here are the other profiles.

Vale Sandy

March 16 2020.

You were a delightful character and I'm grateful for all the times we drove in the car together, to and from the vet. I'm grateful for the time we stopped at the beach and you gazed at the sea. And for your delicious eggs. You were great at schooling the pullets and relaxing in the sunshine. You brought a lot of joy to your flock and they miss you.

IMG_20191211_094417.jpg

IMG20200125182214.jpg

IMG20191111124505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20191211085839.jpg
    IMG20191211085839.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sandy

Sandy is a red hybrid layer. She was found loitering on the streets and placed into my care when her humans could not be located. Technically, she's still a foster-chicken but I don't expect anyone to take her away. She moved in with us on Sunday April 13, 2019 and, like a trooper, provided her first egg on Tuesday April 15.

Favourite hobby: daydreaming.

Rank: civilian passenger generally getting underfoot on the ship. Gets told off every day.

Named after: Sandy is named after my aunty Sandy who tragically took her own life when she could no longer fight to make sense of the cruelties of her childhood. Her husband was my mum's brother. She left two young daughters, Rachel and Laura. Rachel and I are great friends and I have almost persuaded her to get her own chicken flock. Laura was very young when her mum died and needed to break with the family in order to spread her wings. I trust that she is healthy and happy and living her best life. Sandy the chicken, just like Mary, helps me keep Aunty Sandy's memory alive (I don't need help keeping mum's memory alive).

View attachment 1922972
I have a soft spot for Sandy. I like cheering for the underdog.

I'm an Australorp fan! They are so very pretty! And they know how to get what they want.

Between the blinking and the poses she strikes, yes! She does usually get what she wants.

Funny thing is, when she arrived (Tuesday October 23 2018) she had been brutally picked on and many of her feathers had been pulled out. Her attitude was very humble and she immediately bowed to Janet. It was only over time she realised her size advantage and began to assert herself. Now she's a very sweet and benevolent leader.

I have a soft spot for Sandy. I like cheering for the underdog.

I shouldn't have favourites, but the other two are so good at looking after themselves and Sandy is the only one who follows me around the yard, even all the way into the scary woodshed, where the other two fear to tread. So she's my secret sweetheart.

I love this idea :love we have had chickens since moving to TN, but I know there is so much more to learn from all the lovely people I am just getting to know:). We are still in the early stages of learning what's right and wrong ( me more than Bob of course) .

Oh my goodness - isn't there a lot to learn! Predation prevention, feeding, housing, flock dynamics ... the list goes on and on! But it's a wonderful hobby for me. It really off-sets my work-related stress.

Blossom

Blossom is an honorary chicken, really a cat. She spent most of her life on the streets, then lived in a shed for two years, then inside a house for one year, then I adopted her. She is now 10 years old and has lived with us since May 20 2019.

Favourite hobby: sitting on the living room window-sill and watching the world go by.

Favourite saying: MMm!

Rank: shows disdain for all formal hierarchies, what are we - fiercely independent or cogs in the machine, man?!?

Named after: Blossom already had her name when she came to live with us. It suits her. I doubt she was named after a particular blossom. I've never seen a blossom her colour.

IMG20190810093207.jpg

For background, here are the other profiles.

Last edited:
Blossom

Blossom is an honorary chicken, really a cat. She spent most of her life on the streets, then lived in a shed for two years, then inside a house for one year, then I adopted her. She is now 10 years old and has lived with us since May 20 2019.

Favourite hobby: sitting on the living room window-sill and watching the world go by.

Favourite saying: MMm!

Rank: shows disdain for all formal hierarchies, what are we - fiercely independent or cogs in the machine, man?!?

Named after: Blossom already had her name when she came to live with us. It suits her. I doubt she was named after a particular blossom. I've never seen a blosson her colour.

View attachment 1923029
She is an ornament to your flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom