MJ's little flock

@Scrambles83 sorry I have not been following this. How long has this been going on? Have you done the usual once over, looking forward fluid build up in the belly, loss of muscle mass in the breast, crop function, etc? What is her laying status?
No fluid on the belly, she hasn’t laid for 9 months, bathing her yesterday is when I really noticed her lack of fatty breast. She’s not eating a lot so crop is empty.
Treated for cocci, worms, no mites or lice.
Comb is droopy.
I would swear the hard lump in her chest would be an impacted crop but it’s to the left of centre so I can’t see how it could be. That would explain the lethargy, lack of appetite, runny poop etc but would it give her bright yellow poop?

Just read this while I was halfway through replying.
2AC5E013-808B-4B89-8A9C-3D12DEB2CDF8.png

It’s raining hard atm, when it stops maybe I’ll grab her and try some olive oil and a massage? I’m doubting myself all over the shop now. Has anyone heard of this?!
I just don’t want to keep putting her through stuff if it’s not going to help.

Edited to add that’s it’s nearly been 2 weeks since she started to seem off. It’s been up and down but now it seems she’s only down.
I’ve brought her inside for tonight to stay warm, it’s quite fresh outside. Maybe got half a ml of olive oil into her but can’t feel a crop on either side now.
Sounded like she farted at one point after the oil and a quick gentle general chest rub.
Not sure what else to do, I got silly hoping for a miracle as you do with a member of your family, human, furred or feathered.

Last edited:
No fluid on the belly, she hasn’t laid for 9 months, bathing her yesterday is when I really noticed her lack of fatty breast. She’s not eating a lot so crop is empty.
Treated for cocci, worms, no mites or lice.
Comb is droopy.
I would swear the hard lump in her chest would be an impacted crop but it’s to the left of centre so I can’t see how it could be. That would explain the lethargy, lack of appetite, runny poop etc but would it give her bright yellow poop?

Just read this while I was halfway through replying.
View attachment 2608104

It’s raining hard atm, when it stops maybe I’ll grab her and try some olive oil and a massage? I’m doubting myself all over the shop now. Has anyone heard of this?!
I just don’t want to keep putting her through stuff if it’s not going to help.

Edited to add that’s it’s nearly been 2 weeks since she started to seem off. It’s been up and down but now it seems she’s only down.
I’ve brought her inside for tonight to stay warm, it’s quite fresh outside. Maybe got half a ml of olive oil into her but can’t feel a crop on either side now.
Sounded like she farted at one point after the oil and a quick gentle general chest rub.
Not sure what else to do, I got silly hoping for a miracle as you do with a member of your family, human, furred or feathered.
I'm hoping she'll have another small fish meal tomorrow. If she's not doing much, she won't need to eat much.

It is where the crop is but on the opposite side of her breast. Now I’m wondering if it’s just because she’s lost so much weight she just feels different to what I’m used to.

I’ve made the decision if she is still with us by Monday I’m going to have her euthanised by the vet. I can’t watch her keep wasting away...
:hugs

The things you never imagined doing in your life, but what you do to feel more at peace.
I read it to Violet at bedtime and we giggled then shed a few tears about how she looked a bit like Bok.
So, naturally, I read it to Bok a bit later 💜

4979EFBD-80E2-43FA-8F31-844E22124949.jpeg

Her comb is warmer than it’s been all day, still flopped right over though. Me an Vi have told her of our love for her.
Violet’s theory (5&1/2yo) is that Penny became a chicken god when she passed. And that means it’s ok if Bok dies because she will be with her best friend again. I have a strange but awesome kid 💜

Last edited:
Good evening folks :frow

Scrambles:hugs:hugs
Thank you @rjohns39, and good morning.
I’m so grateful to all you folks on here and the other threads I assault with my presence 😅
The decision to bring her inside was a tough one, being with her peeps might be beneficial but with the temp dropping today I felt I owed it to her to keep her warm. I told my husband after I did it with Penny to no avail I wouldn’t do it again. But despite his eternal wisdom (😉) of how she’s not going to get better for it, I told him it will be a day and see how she goes.
Oh dear, an emotional person like me maybe shouldn’t have gotten new chickens!

Good evening MJ and everyone 😴😊

If it was just the eating I’d agree but it’s all the other things.
Going off Mark’s guess with Sandy, Bok is beyond elderly and I think it is just her body shutting down. This is where I’m being selfish and not letting her go with the hope she might pull through. Not taking her to be euthanised and whether that’s the right thing if she’s in extreme pain is what is tearing me up inside.

Thank you MJ, and everyone for letting me share. It helps.

View attachment 2607569
She had 2 mouthfuls of the tuna (I blended it to make it easier to eat 🤷🏻‍♀️) then turned away to sit as she is in the above photo ☹️

It is where the crop is but on the opposite side of her breast. Now I’m wondering if it’s just because she’s lost so much weight she just feels different to what I’m used to.

I’ve made the decision if she is still with us by Monday I’m going to have her euthanised by the vet. I can’t watch her keep wasting away...
:hugs :hugs I have no advice for you, but I'll give you hugs. You have very knowledgeable friends here.

That is a very caring thing to do. Try to enjoy the weekend together. You can sit and reminisce together. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

The things you never imagined doing in your life, but what you do to feel more at peace.
I read it to Violet at bedtime and we giggled then shed a few tears about how she looked a bit like Bok.
So, naturally, I read it to Bok a bit later 💜

View attachment 2608219
Her comb is warmer than it’s been all day, still flopped right over though. Me an Vi have told her of our love for her.
Violet’s theory (5&1/2yo) is that Penny became a chicken god when she passed. And that means it’s ok if Bok dies because she will be with her best friend again. I have a strange but awesome kid 💜
:hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom