MJ's little flock

It's good to be able to tell which hen is laying! I'd be baffled if they weren't colour coded :gig
I'm pretty sure all the Vorwerks are now laying but those rotten girls are making it hard. Someone lays in the nesting boxes as they should. Someone lays in the small coop, which is acceptable & someone drops them randomly round the yard. :he

I'm pretty sure all the Vorwerks are now laying but those rotten girls are making it hard. Someone lays in the nesting boxes as they should. Someone lays in the small coop, which is acceptable & someone drops them randomly round the yard. :he
Cheeky little rascals! Would a strategically placed nesting box in the yard be a good option at your house or would it unleash the cracken? 🤔

Here's breakfast! Nothing out of the ordinary, Janet's wonderful eggs, smoked bacon, and a vintage tea cup of questionable origin, possibly Noritake :love

IMG_2021-07-31-09-17-42-808.jpg

I see the apples have gone done... ;)
Part of my unending hen taming project is sharing a treat with them before their dinner. Apples are in high rotation on the treats eats list :gig it's been the routine since I started trusting the tribe to not run away and it's working - remember that one time Mary let me touch her :lau and lifting them off the roost at nightime is so much easier now. I can't watch the roosting shenanigans without intervening and that seems to build resentment. New pullets will shake things up a bit. If Ivy's not sitting when I start Christmas break, I'll buy a pair of littles to take everyone's mind off hassling Ivy.

Part of my unending hen taming project is sharing a treat with them before their dinner. Apples are in high rotation on the treats eats list :gig it's been the routine since I started trusting the tribe to not run away and it's working - remember that one time Mary let me touch her :lau and lifting them off the roost at nightime is so much easier now. I can't watch the roosting shenanigans without intervening and that seems to build resentment. New pullets will shake things up a bit. If Ivy's not sitting when I start Christmas break, I'll buy a pair of littles to take everyone's mind off hassling Ivy.
That's interesting. I too intervene if I don't like what's going on but there's no resentment that I'm aware of. It's like: Oh. Bucket Girl has spoken & everyone settles down. On the coldest nights I've been insisting all my bottom rail girls get on the 2nd rail with the majority of the bantams & snuggle up tight. Everyone seems to accept that that's how it's got to be & if I see Beatha really wants to be a top rail girl that night I pop her up & it's accepted whereas if she attempts it on her own she isn't allowed. Pretty sure l'll never understand chickens.

That's interesting. I too intervene if I don't like what's going on but there's no resentment that I'm aware of. It's like: Oh. Bucket Girl has spoken & everyone settles down. On the coldest nights I've been insisting all my bottom rail girls get on the 2nd rail with the majority of the bantams & snuggle up tight. Everyone seems to accept that that's how it's got to be & if I see Beatha really wants to be a top rail girl that night I pop her up & it's accepted whereas if she attempts it on her own she isn't allowed. Pretty sure l'll never understand chickens.
Each tribe seems to be mostly similar to other tribes, but with some special sauce of their own to keep us guessing. Maybe the hens at my place will chill out as their tribe gets larger. I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom