MJ's little flock

Did you get to the part where three adult hens fought with Ivy at the same time? It might help you see that fights are what chickens do with new friends and it's our responsibility to allow that to happen. It might put your mind at ease.
I'm really worried about my new little ones getting hurt. Amber is one determined little savage on a war path right now.

This weather has been changeable but it's not far off becoming really cold here and my area is considered as severe when it turns into winter.
I really need too settle them in the safe coop.
We have passed day 5, and wondering if I should introduce them on on one.

These little battery hens have suffered enough I just feel protective.
Agatha is amazing she lets me pick her up already and is so comfortable when I'm carrying her I have to fight myself from moving her inside my home :)

I'm am starting too think if I should I introduce them one on one. How did you integrate Sandy?

Did you get to the part where three adult hens fought with Ivy at the same time? It might help you see that fights are what chickens do with new friends and it's our responsibility to allow that to happen. It might put your mind at ease.
No, I've started at the beginning until I saw your reply

So I think it best if both meet amber too start . She may not be such a dinosaur then.

Would you point me to the ivy attack please. So I can get my head around this.

I'm really worried about my new little ones getting hurt. Amber is one determined little savage on a war path right now.

This weather has been changeable but it's not far off becoming really cold here and my area is considered as severe when it turns into winter.
I really need too settle them in the safe coop.
We have passed day 5, and wondering if I should introduce them on on one.

These little battery hens have suffered enough I just feel protective.
Agatha is amazing she lets me pick her up already and is so comfortable when I'm carrying her I have to fight myself from moving her inside my home :)

I'm am starting too think if I should I introduce them one on one. How did you integrate Sandy?
I didn't know what I was doing when Sandy came to live with us. I just put them all together in a small space. It went badly and that bad start turned into bad habits.

If I were to integrate a fully grown hen again, I'd get two or more of them. Then I'd quarantine for two weeks (within earshot of the others). At three weeks, I'd give the new girls some alone time in the old girls' chicken run so they learn all about it without getting attacked (the old girls can be free ranging while this happens). At four weeks, I'd sneak out at night and put the new girls on the roost with the old girls and keep a close watch the next couple of days in case anyone gets injured in the scuffles and needs to visit the vet.

Chicken fights look awful but it's usually over fast. And they simply need to get it done.

If they can't fight their way into a pecking "order", then the flock is more vulnerable to predators in the long run.

I didn't know what I was doing when Sandy came to live with us. I just put them all together in a small space. It went badly and that bad start turned into bad habits.

If I were to integrate a fully grown hen again, I'd get two or more of them. Then I'd quarantine for two weeks (within earshot of the others). At three weeks, I'd give the new girls some alone time in the old girls' chicken run so they learn all about it without getting attacked (the old girls can be free ranging while this happens). At four weeks, I'd sneak out at night and put the new girls on the roost with the old girls and keep a close watch the next couple of days in case anyone gets injured in the scuffles and needs to visit the vet.

Chicken fights look awful but it's usually over fast. And they simply need to get it done.

If they can't fight their way into a pecking "order", then the flock is more vulnerable to predators in the long run.
You are a blessing to us all here.

Agatha and Tina have already spent one night in the coop alone last night and spent time in the run today.

I'm afraid as i said the British weather is about too turn but I will leave putting them together as long as I can .

My friend us fixing up the small coop soon and they are really content in there as inadequate as it is. It's where they want too lay their eggs and snooze. :love

To be honest, I admire their determination and tenacity even though they sometimes drive me a little crazy!
One of my hens actually pushed open a full sized swinging door to get back to her nest of one infertile golf ball! :p
Oh that made me laugh out loud.
Are you totally sure the golf ball was infertile?! :lau :lau

You are a blessing to us all here.

Agatha and Tina have already spent one night in the coop alone last night and spent time in the run today.

I'm afraid as i said the British weather is about too turn but I will leave putting them together as long as I can .

My friend us fixing up the small coop soon and they are really content in there as inadequate as it is. It's where they want too lay their eggs and snooze. :love
I think you may be over worrying about the weather. Chickens are very happy in the cold (well below freezing) as long as they have somewhere out of drafts and don't get too wet.
They prefer cold to heat.

Before I go to the land of nod...

@MaryJanet

Here are the cat and chickens that i could never love
20210918_171359.jpg

20210919_141308.jpg

20210922_234208.jpg

Back
Top Bottom