MJ's little flock

Volt. It took them a while but Amp and Volt are quite happy to dig alongside me now. I try and pull out a few weeds with them each day. While they know how to scratch most do not appreciate that they have to dig. Volt here is getting the idea now.
PA240679.JPG

I clean out the broody coop, which is what this is once a week. One hen sleeps in there but otherwise it stays clean. These three eggs were buried right next to an open nest which had a single egg in it. One of the layers has learn't to hide her eggs.
View attachment 2881169

View attachment 2881170
That's interesting. She must have quite strong instincts.

I clean out the broody coop, which is what this is once a week. One hen sleeps in there but otherwise it stays clean. These three eggs were buried right next to an open nest which had a single egg in it. One of the layers has learn't to hide her eggs.
View attachment 2881169

View attachment 2881170
That's a new one by me. I've never seen or heard of buried eggs before.

That's a new one by me. I've never seen or heard of buried eggs before.
One of Ivy's was buried one time but I put it down to accident. Sometimes she lays at the very crack of dawn on the floor of the big coop and her friends hop down later (I assume) and start tossing the bedding around. Usually her eggs are right there, easy to see, but one time I found one when I was changing the wood shavings.

But that doesn't appear to be the case with the hen Shad described.

Back
Top Bottom