MJ's little flock

That is coherent with what I've seen too.

I figure if the hens can establish good self-care habits, then if something unforeseen happens to me, they'll have a better chance of surviving their next chicken keepers learning curve.
The first three days are as I understand it critical. This is when the eggs get turned the most from what I've observed. The embryo needs to be prevented from sticking to the egg wall or the chick is likely to have deformities or not hatch at all.:confused:
I think hens know this. The moore experienced hens :confused: seem to be able to judge all this without feeling they have to sit for the three days solid. It has only been first timers that have sat three days straight ime.

The first three days are as I understand it critical. This is when the eggs get turned the most from what I've observed. The embryo needs to be prevented from sticking to the egg wall or the chick is likely to have deformities or not hatch at all.:confused:
I think hens know this. The moore experienced hens :confused: seem to be able to judge all this without feeling they have to sit for the three days solid. It has only been first timers that have sat three days straight ime.
I'm sure they'd be able to feel things within the egg from it's readiness to roll.

In any case, I haven't observed Mary or Ivy going as long as three days, but they each have sat for two days rarely (usually early in the sitting), 36 hours (ish) once or twice a week, but remain mostly on a 24 hour schedule, with a 12 hour sit cropping up every now and then.

However this is incomplete data because I can't usually be there to observe all day, every day.

My thinking is that she knows what she needs to do, including her hunger, thirst etc. So my best option is to watch without interfering. Unless she leaves it a little too long.

Ivy says It's too hot!!

IMG_2021-11-30-19-23-09-784.jpg

Yesterday I made some purchases for the hens.

IMG_2021-12-02-10-36-34-615.jpg

Here's the box in greater detail.

IMG_2021-12-02-10-37-17-493.jpg

And a close up of the important part.

IMG_2021-12-02-10-37-33-692.jpg

"Great for pet areas"

I can confirm from experience this is indeed a great way to keep a chicken run cool, reducing temperature by around 10° Celsius (around 20° Fahrenheit).

However, I live in a dry, hot climate. I don't know if it would be as effective (or effective at all) in a humid, hot climate.

I'm going to install it this weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom