MJ's little flock

I got everything ready. It is snowing like mad right now but we are ready. I am the neighbor who helps everyone. Lots of older people live around me these days.

Chicken tax
View attachment 2962901
Wow! Good job!! You must be exhausted. Great opportunity to sleep some more.

It's eerily quiet.

I guess it'll be rather noisy soon!
Yup.

peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep

tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk

peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep peep

tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk

tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk

tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk

That's a heck of a long stretch! Was she a youngster at the time?
She wasn't that young. A hen rather than a pullet. Donk is just a strange hen as was her mother and her grandmother. She proved to be as good a mother as any apart from Bluespot. A rather different integration strategy to most. She hatched her chicks and marched them into the tribes coop as soon as they could walk up the ramp. She picked a corner in the coop and that became their roost spot until the chicks could make the jump to the roost bar. Most hens wait until the chicks are feathered before they take them home if they weren't hatched at home.

Snow or just cold?
In general, cold is not what I consider bad weather. It's just cold. However it was single digits each night Friday and Saturday so that's bad for us.

It is snowing now. It could snow for 24 hours straight or we could have ice mix in overnight. They are talking about 45 mph winds. So high winds, snow, and ice is about as bad as it can get.

Right now......
20220116_201749.jpg

It is 22°F, -5.5°C, outside right now and 29°F, -1.6°C in Phyllis coop. So the heater is doing its job well.

Back
Top Bottom