MJ's little flock

I think this confirms for me that I couldn't cope with trying to hatch eggs under a broody; if I feel this sad vicariously, I don't think I could do it myself! But I think you're very brave for giving it a go, and also being prepared for the worst and not over-optimistic. :hugs
i tried to lay robust emotional groundwork but even with that prep, I'm still very sad for the squashed chick and disappointed my hopes and more importantly, the hens hard work, have come to nothing so far.

i tried to lay robust emotional groundwork but even with that prep, I'm still very sad for the squashed chick and disappointed my hopes and more importantly, the hens hard work, have come to nothing so far.
There is no way to feel otherwise. I would expect nothing else from you. There is still hope for the remaining egg. I believe that you are going to take this harder than they are. Think of the times they set with no eggs. Plus they know better how risky the hatching process is.

I'm very sorry this has not gone as you would have wished. I had hoped that you would get the same experience that I did. :hugs :hugs

There is no way to feel otherwise. I would expect nothing else from you. There is still hope for the remaining egg. I believe that you are going to take this harder than they are. Think of the times they set with no eggs. Plus they know better how risky the hatching process is.

I'm very sorry this has not gone as you would have wished. I had hoped that you would get the same experience that I did. :hugs :hugs
I'll be fine Bob. I've been through much, much worse and ghat knowledge keeps me strong when things go wrong.

That's not the same as unfeeling. It's more like resilience than unfeeling.

Ivy is coping well. Peggy is almost not broody anymore and spending more time up than sitting.

I was hoping for an easy hatch, I said it over and over through the incubation. That didn't work out,but that's chickens. Things go wrong. Look at your year, look at Sif, River, Sandy... the list goes on. Chickens invite us to be resilient and I try to step up to that.

Sort of caught up on the reading MJ.
These things take practice on both parts.
Dead chicks are a horrid thing to have to deal with. I doubt it will put Peggy and Ivy off; don't let it put you off either.:hugs
There is still a chance with the remaoning egg. :fl
Thanks for chipping in Shad, I'm grateful.

Back
Top Bottom