MJ's little flock

I think you have something there. The right tool for the job kind of thing.
In a pinch, the toenail clippers used with the sharp edge away from the hen to prevent stabbing would work on Mary's butt fluff.

But she's a slow mover at the best of times and a glacial mover on the roost. Unlike Gucci, I imagine.

I'll still get a pair of cat claw clippers though, because from RC's photos they look just right

One of my very favourite sights :D 🤗

IMG_2022-08-11-16-47-45-902.jpg

I think so too. It needs to cool down quickly in the evenings and allow all possible breezes through.
This is what I had on the island ~ completely open fronted & all I did in really bad weather was put up a shower curtain. Your coop is perfect for your climate.

But you've done a tube feed. That terrifies me. I don't even think I could do that. A bum snip... :smack
Exactly!

The very thought of a tube feed has me reaching for the phone, hens travel basket, and car keys because they're gonna have to visit Dr Mark for that!

This is what I had on the island ~ completely open fronted & all I did in really bad weather was put up a shower curtain. Your coop is perfect for your climate.
Thanks mate! I think so too. So far the hens have survived some brutally hot weather and the coop plays its part in that success.

They're very tough. I was using my sharpest scissors yet they still weren't quite sharp enough.
I have to admitt I never considered the points. I'm usually cutting through the dag & I aim the pointy bits away from the chicken. Also, as I don't have help, if I think a chicken is going to give me trouble I wrap them in a towel with their bum hanging out. I do need something small & really, really sharp for the bantams. I wouldn't consider secateurs or cat snips for them.

I have to admitt I never considered the points. I'm usually cutting through the dag & I aim the pointy bits away from the chicken. Also, as I don't have help, if I think a chicken is going to give me trouble I wrap them in a towel with their bum hanging out. I do need something small & really, really sharp for the bantams. I wouldn't consider secateurs or cat snips for them.
I think short blades would work well if it's a feather by feather trim.

But if there are a few to get through in one snip a longer blade would be better.

A towel wrap is a great idea for a feisty hen.

Back
Top Bottom