MJ's little flock

Both vinegar and bleach will corrode brass. Even hydrogen peroxide will. You may have to clean it with soap.
@MaryJanet let's go back to the beginning. It may surprise you to know the brass is inherently antimicrobial because of the copper content. There may be some bacteria in the non-brass portions. Can you unscrew the brass parts in order to clean it?

@RoyalChick I've just received photos of the cat basket. It won't arrive until January because it's the cheapest shipping from Scotland. I assume it's shipped in an actual ship.

View attachment 3344570

View attachment 3344569

I asked if he's ever made baskets for chickens. It would have to be much deeper with the opening on the side, a dropped floor to contain shavings, and a perch.

But perhaps this top-opening cat basket will work well for chooks.
That certainly looks like it will work. 👍👍

@RoyalChick I've just received photos of the cat basket. It won't arrive until January because it's the cheapest shipping from Scotland. I assume it's shipped in an actual ship.

View attachment 3344570

View attachment 3344569

I asked if he's ever made baskets for chickens. It would have to be much deeper with the opening on the side, a dropped floor to contain shavings, and a perch.

But perhaps this top-opening cat basket will work well for chooks.
My basket looks a lot like this without the opening on the side. I carried Caramel, who was a big hen, in it for a two hours ride to the vet.
Although it was an awful trip.for her, I think the basket was much more confortable than a pet carrier would have been , it was very hot and it's much more breathable. The fact that she was held tight was actually very reassuring because we have a lot of turns on our mountain roads and I think she would have been swung around in a bigger space. I put news paper and hay on the bottom, and anyway she barely pooped throughout the ride.

The only downside I saw was that in case of an accident she would have been far less protected than in the pet carrier.
IMG_20221209_065903.jpg

My basket looks a lot like this without the opening on the side. I carried Caramel, who was a big hen, in it for a two hours ride to the vet.
Although it was an awful trip.for her, I think the basket was much more confortable than a pet carrier would have been , it was very hot and it's much more breathable. The fact that she was held tight was actually very reassuring because we have a lot of turns on our mountain roads and I think she would have been swung around in a bigger space. I put news paper and hay on the bottom, and anyway she barely pooped throughout the ride.

The only downside I saw was that in case of an accident she would have been far less protected than in the pet carrier.
View attachment 3344997
Very similar! It's good to know you thought it suitable.

Oh, I hope Bella is okay eating the Red Hen 17! I don’t actually know how old she is; I’m guessing 14-16 weeks. But Snowy was 14 weeks and I can’t remember if we got something specific for her.
Well, you know my opinion on 17. I don't think any chicken is OK eating it because they can skip the healthy parts and eat their favourite grains non-stop, like corn. Remember, it was a factor in Peggy's fatty liver diagnosis.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did give them some chicken grower pellets. I ducked back out to the pet shop and grabbed a bag. They also have chicken swings and glockenspiels!
Cute! I think grower is a good idea for young chooks. It's more likely to get them started off well.

@MaryJanet let's go back to the beginning. It may surprise you to know the brass is inherently antimicrobial because of the copper content. There may be some bacteria in the non-brass portions. Can you unscrew the brass parts in order to clean it?
No. It would convert it to a low-pressure water system and the water would simply run out of the first missing nozzle.

Bob, what I can't understand is why there would be harmful bacteria in the drinking water supply, from the water mains. These things are tightly regulated in Australia so that our drinking water is as good for us as possible.

Well, you know my opinion on 17. I don't think any chicken is OK eating it because they can skip the healthy parts and eat their favourite grains non-stop, like corn. Remember, it was a factor in Peggy's fatty liver diagnosis.
Nyssa and Snowy have decided they don’t like the 17 anymore and won’t eat it. There’s a layer mix you can get in Woolies and they’ll pick out the bit of that they like and leave the rest. :rolleyes: What do you recommend they eat?

Back
Top Bottom