MJ's little flock

It might not look like much, but there are 8 hens in this photo. Getting along, but giving each other some room.

View attachment 3438578

You can see how the red marauders dominate. Four old girls in a group, two little ones in a group.
That is quite a milestone - well done!

They're slowly adjusting. I'm trying to respect their preferences and I trust they will be more bonded eventually. I've been making some progress on building the new roost and once that's ready, I'll start carrying the hens onto their new roosts after dark and they'll start waking up together. Hopefully by then there won't be too many fights.

I can’t remember if I reported here but Bernie and the Math Majors are now definitely one gang - though the Mayh Majors still roost up in the rafters where Bernie can’t get to.
Here they are working the one tiny patch of green.

D2652B76-4B87-48B6-BE68-FB02551B7254.jpeg

I can’t remember if I reported here but Bernie and the Math Majors are now definitely one gang - though the Mayh Majors still roost up in the rafters where Bernie can’t get to.

View attachment 3439268
“Bernie and the Math Majors”… what a great name for a band! 🎸

@LozzyR how are your chooks going? All good?
They seem to be ok, no-one’s complained about the boys yet (to us, anyway). Angel’s trying to go broody again; tukking and fanning her tail, even though it’s starting to cool down and get darker for longer! G-man will still chase Bela first thing when I let them out, but then they seem to be fine together the rest of the day.

View attachment 3439268
The mathemagician in my flock is Janet. Her flight trajectories are beautiful. I'm planning a special high up roost just for her.

They seem to be ok, no-one’s complained about the boys yet (to us, anyway). Angel’s trying to go broody again; tukking and fanning her tail, even though it’s starting to cool down and get darker for longer! G-man will still chase Bela first thing when I let them out, but then they seem to be fine together the rest of the day.
Will you hatch chicks one day?

Back
Top Bottom