MJ's little flock

It's good news about Joyce! Dr Mark told me her uterus had detached from her cloaca and some tissue had died and rotted. He cleaned it all out and tied it off and she came out of surgery well. He expects she will make a full recovery. He also expects she will not ovulate any more but if she does, it will be a problem. If that happens, she'll be given a full hysterectomy. She was very feisty when I picked her up!

It's another of those situations when surgery supports a full and robust understanding of what's going on inside.

EYP was merely a symptom of an underlying physiological problem.

How on earth does a uterus detach from a cloaca? Seems very odd. I guess it's just an idiosyncratic problem. One of the hens left some meat in the nest a few months back. I guess it was part of Joyce's uterus?

Last edited:
It's good news about Joyce! Dr Mark told me her uterus had detached from her cloaca and some tissue had died and rotted. He cleaned it all out and tied it off and she came out of surgery well. He expects she will make a full recovery. He also expects she will not ovulate any more but if she does, it will be a problem. If that happens, she'll be given a full hysterectomy. She was very feisty when I picked her up!

It's another of those situations when surgery supports a full and robust understanding of what's going on inside.

How on earth does a uterus detach from a cloaca? Seems very odd. I guess it's just an idiosyncratic problem. One of the hens left some meat in the nest a few months back. I guess it was part of Joyce's uterus?
Goodness. I have never heard of such a thing!
I am glad she is on the mend.
Also curious why he didn’t remove her ovaries while he was in there.

That is such good news. I'm so very happy for you both. She is so very lucky to have wound up in your loving care.
:wee :wee :wee :wee

So few people opt for surgery - maybe many hens who die of EYP have detached uteruses but no one ever finds out? There wouldn't be any reliable data on it.

As for the ovaries - maybe there wasn't time? I wish I'd thought to ask but the question didn't occur to me.

That is such good news. I'm so very happy for you both. She is so very lucky to have wound up in your loving care.
:wee :wee :wee :wee
Well, I'm lucky he's so skilled and willing to attempt surgery. That's 2 very weird internal situations he's found and remedied for the flock in a comparatively short space of time.

Well, I'm lucky he's so skilled and willing to attempt surgery. That's 2 very weird internal situations he's found and remedied for the flock in a comparatively short space of time.
I'm very glad the outcome was good for Joyce 😊.

Although Caramel died from the anesthesia the vet opened her up post-mortem, and she did not have that.
I suppose Joyce must have had some kind of prolapse.

You can tell Dr Mark he has an international fan club on BYC 😉.

I was stunned. Same as when he found Mary had a hernia. Stunned.

Even very experienced vets are making educated guesses until a patient is opened up and they can see what's going on in there. What hope do the rest of us have?

I'm very glad the outcome was good for Joyce 😊.

Although Caramel died from the anesthesia the vet opened her up post-mortem, and she did not have that.
I suppose Joyce must have had some kind of prolapse.

You can tell Dr Mark he has an international fan club on BYC 😉.
I was thinking of prolapse too. Her eggs were horrendously huge. And maybe she was laying the hard, chalky, crinkled eggs too, which might've injured her?

Not to mention her breeding and genetics!

Last edited:

Joyce is a lucky hen. I doubt many of the vets around here would even find that out let alone be capable of dealing with it.

Back
Top Bottom