MJ's little flock

Joyce is a lucky hen. I doubt many of the vets around here would even find that out let alone be capable of dealing with it.
I'm counting my blessings. I'm very grateful to him and his team. He's an old fashioned vet, running his own surgery, so he answers only to his conscience and his profession. It gives him freedom to suggest options like expensive surgery for a chicken who's economic value is almost nil. I don't think vets working in mega-surgeries have the same freedom to exercise their professional judgement.

And I'm lucky I can afford expensive surgery when one of the hens needs it. It means I can live according to my values.

It's a shame there are no skilled vets available. At least you've got a lifetime's experience to hand.
It may be doubly unfortunate then that what my experience has taught me is that chickens fall prey to as many health problems, often of a similar nature to humans. I've also learn't that for most of the serious internal health problems there is usually little to nothing that can be done to save them.
This can be because of the lack of money, the lack of available expertise, or even the lack of observation.
With the above in mind what experience tells me is what's important for most, human or chicken, is the quality of life lived, not the length.
Any fool could tell me that.

With the above in mind what experience tells me is what's important for most, human or chicken, is the quality of life lived, not the length.
Any fool could tell me that.
But many of us will not believe any fool telling us this, and we have to make our own experiences to get to that point.

Back
Top Bottom