MJ's little flock

Here's the patient chowing down on a head of broccoli in the late afternoon sun. With her guard dog, Christa.

IMG_2023-06-06-16-17-25-310.jpg

IMG_2023-06-06-16-17-15-791.jpg

Following instructions, Joyce is being kept in a clean but not sterile environment. She's in the sleepout, where I've spread dust-extracted sawdust over the concrete floor. I'll muck out once a day. Christa is keeping her company. They're not happy about it. I'll keep the dietary distractions coming to ease their suffering and give them something else to think about.

The sleepout has been Edie and Katie's roost since they arrived late last year.

As Joyce and Christa have the upper hand, it's not going to be possible to keep those two in while releasing Edie and Katie each morning. Joyce and Christa always take first and second place in the morning race out the door.

So, after dark last night I carried Edie and Katie out to the big coop and put them on Mary's perch. Then I got up before light to open the door in case an escape route was needed.

Watching the hens wake up as the light slowly changed was such a peaceful thing to do.

Katie was up first. She had her breakfast pellets and left the coop before Edie got up and started her breakfast. They were both out of the coop before Ivy got up and ate. She was followed by Peggy. Then it was Mary's turn, she didn't stop for breakfast, she left the coop immediately to find her breakfast in the backyard. Janet didn't bother getting down from her rafter until 10 minutes after Mary had left the coop. Then she ate a very slow breakfast before taking a good long drink. She left the coop 15 minutes after getting up.

I look forward to seeing what happens at roosting time this evening and tomorrow morning's wakeups.

Back
Top Bottom