MJ's little flock

Do you think a larger chicken requires a deeper tread and shallower rise? I'm thinking of Mary again.

Like a series of platforms?
I think the lower the rise the easier they find it. Maybe see what heights Mary is comfortable jumping on - like does she jump up on logs or bricks?
The depth of the tread doesn't seem like a big variable as long as it is deep enough for them to stand on.
Remember the math on this - the lower the rise and the deeper the tread the more the stairway will project forward. That may not matter if you have the space but I was limited as I didn't want to be constantly tripping over it!

I think the lower the rise the easier they find it. Maybe see what heights Mary is comfortable jumping on - like does she jump up on logs or bricks?
The depth of the tread doesn't seem like a big variable as long as it is deep enough for them to stand on.
Remember the math on this - the lower the rise and the deeper the tread the more the stairway will project forward. That may not matter if you have the space but I was limited as I didn't want to be constantly tripping over it!
Thanks. I'll continue observing her movements and will make steps if she needs them as she ages.

Everyone who knows Phyllis will be interested to know she has a photo shoot with a professional photographer today. Of course she rocked it!

Post in thread 'Fluffy Butt Acres: Stories of our flock' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-27132746
Just incredible. I love the props as well. It gives the pictures a contemporary painting jungle feeling, Frida Kahlo or Douanier Rousseau ? (My knowledge of art is very limited, trying to describe the impression).
I was surprised and not. None have ever seemed stressed when we take them for car rides
I think you are lucky or your car is more confortable than ours ! Rides here have been going from barely bearable to utter nightmare.

I have a big issue with the ramp/stair/ladder thing to reach their roost. We made a ramp because the old ladder seemed to be dreadful for the older hens. Turns out they hate the ramp as well even though it's a very slight inclination and there are steps every 10 cm. And now four of my chickens have bumblefeet🙁.
I’m thinking about either piling logs or making a stair, but the roost height is 1.30 m / 4feet2, which is a bit high for piling logs. I tried putting two chairs with different heights and the chickens didn't understood what it was for.

I’m hesitant to try to make stairs, because i’m not certain that would be better than the ramp, and if we have to make them the same inclination as the ramp it will take a huge amount of place. Maybe I should just try to make a better ladder ? I don't want to make again something that they won't use or that will be unconfortable for them.

Sorry for ranting on your thread MJ. Now you know why I want to move in your coop 😊.

Just incredible. I love the props as well. It gives the pictures a contemporary painting jungle feeling, Frida Kahlo or Douanier Rousseau ? (My knowledge of art is very limited, trying to describe the impression).

I think you are lucky or your car is more confortable than ours ! Rides here have been going from barely bearable to utter nightmare.

I have a big issue with the ramp/stair/ladder thing to reach their roost. We made a ramp because the old ladder seemed to be dreadful for the older hens. Turns out they hate the ramp as well even though it's a very slight inclination and there are steps every 10 cm. And now four of my chickens have bumblefeet🙁.
I’m thinking about either piling logs or making a stair, but the roost height is 1.30 m / 4feet2, which is a bit high for piling logs. I tried putting two chairs with different heights and the chickens didn't understood what it was for.

I’m hesitant to try to make stairs, because i’m not certain that would be better than the ramp, and if we have to make them the same inclination as the ramp it will take a huge amount of place. Maybe I should just try to make a better ladder ? I don't want to make again something that they won't use or that will be unconfortable for them.

Sorry for ranting on your thread MJ. Now you know why I want to move in your coop 😊.
The whole logs/stairs/ramp decision can be a little fraught. If I had enough space I'd try all three at the same time and see which was preferred.

I would love to see a pic of this coop. I just see the antislip ramp. I love how the entire front in wide open. (I think?) thanks!
Yes, it's not really a coop because it doesn't close.

I've been calling it a roosting box.

IMG_2023-08-26-16-19-38-479.jpg

It's in one corner of a large, enclosed run.

Back
Top Bottom