MJ's little flock

And speaking of preening, this is the morning routine that always amuses me.
First light, Bernie and Babs rush out to eat. They are older and fully understand the importance of a hearty breakfast!
While they are eating the Pentagonists all take over the roost and preen. They are teenagers and feel it is important to look their best before being out in public!
Then, after breakfast, Bernie and Babs return to preen and always look a bit surprised that the roost is occupied!
This picture from the coop cam also shows the ladder I have that I am worrying about whether I should replace it with a staircase or ramp.

View attachment 3623143
There's no harm in providing a ramp as an option, you might find the hens like it and if they don't, you could remove it again.

If you decide to make a ramp, you might be able to buy battens with rounded edges in the mouldings section at the hardware store. I bought two long mouldings with two rounded edges and two sharp edges, then cut them into ramp-width lengths to make battens, then installed them sharp edges down. We ended up with some spares, but that was handy because a couple of them cracked on being screwed, so we were able to replace them immediately.

I agree with this thought. I think you have a solution in search of a problem.
That's true, I'm sure the ladder has been made in such a way that if doesn't give splinters.

But it can be fun to make new things for the hens :)

That's true, I'm sure the ladder has been made in such a way that if doesn't give splinters.

But it can be fun to make new things for the hens :)
Yes. I am very confident there are no splinters. But the way they come down the ladder but put unusual pressure on their feet maybe.
And yes, maybe I am just liking the idea of some tinkering - although I have a long list of fun tinkering projects for the chickens, so maybe I should get those done first!

Yes. I am very confident there are no splinters. But the way they come down the ladder but put unusual pressure on their feet maybe.
And yes, maybe I am just liking the idea of some tinkering - although I have a long list of fun tinkering projects for the chickens, so maybe I should get those done first!
There's age to consider as well. While your crew are all quite youthful, Hattie is older with arthritis. A ramp might be more accessible for such a hen as Hattie than a ladder or steps.

I'm stationed by the ramp again, but this time I've been ultra sneaky and closed the door to the run, so the crew and trapped in here with me!

IMG_2023-08-31-17-57-00-658.jpg

Back
Top Bottom