MJ's little flock

Mary is home and in the run with Janet, Katie and Ivy. I'm at work.

Christa and Peggy both jumped on Mary the first chance they got. They won't get any more chances until she's better.

Dr Mark had a good look at Mary's eye and thought 5 x clavulox IM would be a good move, so she's going back the next few days for a daily shot. He also thought Ibuprofen was a good idea, so I gave her 1ml (10mg) on bread as soon as we were home and I'll keep that going twice a day to relieve the swelling.
She will do just fine, because you're managing her in exactly the right way.

Neither. He looked closely at her eye and advised the shots and the ibuprofen. If he thought it needed rinsing, he would have rinsed it.

I'm not sure what you're looking at when you see crust, maybe her eyelashes which are black, or her inner eyelid, which is very pale pink. She also has a small chunk of skin missing from her lower eyelid, which I presume Peggy snacked on.

She does have a lot of shmutz on her beak, but that's Mary's normal dinner face.
Dinner face!
:gig :gig :gig

You're welcome, and thank you for ssying hi back :)

True isnt it? Always something new to learn. Well, since moving away from the family home, I dont get to see the main flock a lot. I do try to get back there on weekends. But I do have a special lil hen with me, a rescue project, a survivor. And my gosh... I never really knew how smart, sensitive, sweet chickens could be.

She has preferences in music, loves and dislikes, all the way to probably having a sixth sense. She always seems to know when my Sis is going to come by. She gets up on the back of her favorite chair, neck and head erect, and makes a trilling sound (the chicken, not the sister. Ha). Then sister appears. Sister was also instrumental in saving this lil lady's life, and so forever a bond, I think. They say dolphins and whales might be able to communicate over vast distances in ways we don't understand. Why not birds and poultry? :)
Lovely lady! :love

Well that looks awful but a lot better and I am guessing she can see now.
Poor old girl - she is such a dignified, lady-like bird - it isn’t right that she get pecked!
That's how I feel! I'm so offended. I threw the keys at Christa and Peggy when they jumped on her yesterday, I was so cross.

MJ, I'm happy to hear that she is getting better :hugs
It's a relief. I'm already under too much pressure at work for the next few weeks, my student's mother is dying so I'm trying to support my student in getting back home to Sri Lanka before it's too late which involves a lot of form-filling and letter-writing, my neighbour friend has pneumonia so I'm trying to provide some support, my aunty's best friend for 47 years died suddenly a few days ago and Aunty is very sad and needs loving phone calls which I haven't provided enough of, so Mary's eye care is the icing on an already rather large and over-baked cake. Thank goodness my brother doesn't need much from me right now.

Sorry for the list. Sometimes it feels better to just say everything.

You're welcome, and thank you for ssying hi back :)

True isnt it? Always something new to learn. Well, since moving away from the family home, I dont get to see the main flock a lot. I do try to get back there on weekends. But I do have a special lil hen with me, a rescue project, a survivor. And my gosh... I never really knew how smart, sensitive, sweet chickens could be.

She has preferences in music, loves and dislikes, all the way to probably having a sixth sense. She always seems to know when my Sis is going to come by. She gets up on the back of her favorite chair, neck and head erect, and makes a trilling sound (the chicken, not the sister. Ha). Then sister appears. Sister was also instrumental in saving this lil lady's life, and so forever a bond, I think. They say dolphins and whales might be able to communicate over vast distances in ways we don't understand. Why not birds and poultry? :)
She's lovely. Was she rescued from a battery farm?

They're very smart and sensitive. If they like something, they'll make it part of their daily routine very quickly, but otherwise a habit can take a long time to form.

Back
Top Bottom