Katie 114
Edie 112
Ivy 109
Mary 55
Janet 29
Peggy 15
Joyce 13
Christa 10

Total 457, which is a little less than last year's total.

I'm very pleased to see the hens had so many days off and it's delightful that three hens are doing well as they age and taper off their laying.

Understandably, Janet has not laid as many eggs as last year. Ivy's doing well. Mary is doing great for someone who once had a hernia that needed repairing. Peggy pretty much gave up until it was broody season, 14 of her eggs were laid in December.

I've been thinking about next Summer and will try another hatch. It'll be early in the season, maybe Ivy's first sit, so there's time to get pullets if the hatch fails. I did a little web searching this morning and found a new family business had started up not too far from where I live, called Pip & Grow. They have some nice looking chooks and a mix can be ordered for hatching. Maybe 2 laced Polish, 2 chocolate Orpington bantams, and 2 Marans.
So exciting! I do endorse your suggestions for types to hatch. 😁

Janet has died.

She slept with Ivy last night and didn't get up for breakfast this morning, so I looked for her and she was snuggled up with Ivy. I put a couple of dried meal worms next to her. Later in the afternoon I thought it was strange I hadn't seen her so I looked and found her remains a few steps away from where she had been sitting.

Here she is shortly after moving in. It was day 1 or 2. Mary had not moved in yet and Jan was flying solo that week.

View attachment 3727027

Then her amigo moved in.

View attachment 3727028

A few months later a street urchin turned up.

Three Amigos.

View attachment 3727029

View attachment 3727030

Around this time, she started feeling a little off.

Dr Mark wasn't able to pin it down on this occasion but she had an overnight stay, a fecal float, an exam. All for free.

View attachment 3727031

Some time later two little puddings joined in and gave Janet a reason to look upon everything with a sense of superiority.

Janet then had a swollen eye which I failed to notice until it was quite uncomfortable for her. She had her eye surgically flushed by Dr Mark and his team. Her eyelid had to be cut open for the procedure and glued together again.

Her eye infection marked the beginning of the end, with several week long treatments of antibiotics and followed by probiotics. We just couldn't crack it and each time her recuperation took longer and failed sooner.

Her last treatment resulted in her poops becoming tiny. That's when I thought no more antibiotics. Something wasn't right and I didn't want to put her through another treatment regimen with its long term recuperation for short term benefit.

Instead I focussed on giving her things she liked like corn and meal worms and cottage cheese rolled in pellets. And salmon and egg. I'm sure the shitty diet made her happy but sicker.

I was lucky to have had such a great hen in my life for so long. She was six. She died on 16/1/24.

An hour ago her friends starting singing for no reason. I like to think they were calling to her as she crossed the Rubicon.

She was a magnificent matriarch who will be much missed.

View attachment 3727034

View attachment 3727037
She will be dearly missed. :hugs :hugs :hugs

It does feel different after they have been with you so long. What blessed gift she was to have been a part of your life. She was truly lucky to have found her way to you.

Janet has died.

She slept with Ivy last night and didn't get up for breakfast this morning, so I looked for her and she was snuggled up with Ivy. I put a couple of dried meal worms next to her. Later in the afternoon I thought it was strange I hadn't seen her so I looked and found her remains a few steps away from where she had been sitting.

Here she is shortly after moving in. It was day 1 or 2. Mary had not moved in yet and Jan was flying solo that week.

View attachment 3727027

Then her amigo moved in.

View attachment 3727028

Three Amigos.

View attachment 3727029

View attachment 3727030

Dr Mark wasn't able to pin it down on this occasion but she had an overnight stay, a fecal float, an exam. All for free.

View attachment 3727031

Some time later two little puddings joined in and gave Janet a reason to look upon everything with a sense of superiority.

Janet then had a swollen eye which I failed to notice until it was quite uncomfortable for her. She had her eye surgically flushed by Dr Mark and his team. Her eyelid had to be cut open for the procedure and glued together again.

Her eye infection marked the beginning of the end, with several week long treatments of antibiotics and followed by probiotics. We just couldn't crack it and each time her recuperation took longer and failed sooner.

Her last treatment resulted in her poops becoming tiny. That's when I thought no more antibiotics. Something wasn't right and I didn't want to put her through another treatment regimen with its long term recuperation for short term benefit.

Instead I focussed on giving her things she liked like corn and meal worms and cottage cheese rolled in pellets. And salmon and egg. I'm sure the shitty diet made her happy but sicker.

I was lucky to have had such a great hen in my life for so long. She was six. She died on 16/1/24.

An hour ago her friends starting singing for no reason. I like to think they were calling to her as she crossed the Rubicon.

View attachment 3727034

View attachment 3727037
I'm so sorry :hugs :hugs She will be missed, but always remembered ❤

Janet has died.

View attachment 3727027

Then her amigo moved in.

View attachment 3727028

Three Amigos.

View attachment 3727029

View attachment 3727030

View attachment 3727031

View attachment 3727034

View attachment 3727037
Aww Janet. I’m so sorry MJ. :hit:hugs

Oh MJ. I am sorry.
I know it was not totally unexpected, but still a sad loss of such a lovely lady.
:hugs
That is a beautiful tribute to her and shows what a wonderful and interesting life she had with you.
🥰

I am glad her compatriots got to see her off. Hugs for them too.
Thank you RC. You're right, she was a lovely hen. I'm glad she's not suffering any more. I didn't realise how close she was to the end. She was sunbathing on Monday. And she did her perimeter check Monday evening.

Oh Janet. I was somehow thinking she would live forever in spite of all you said about her health issues...
It seems she left in peace surrounded by her family.
She saw so many things and changes at your place. Her absence will feel strange. But she will certainly stay in our thoughts. While I don't believe in after life I feel that when we think of the departed they are still with us in a different way.
Ivy would have been kind and gentle company during her last hours.

She will be dearly missed. :hugs :hugs :hugs

It does feel different after they have been with you so long. What blessed gift she was to have been a part of your life. She was truly lucky to have found her way to you.
We were both lucky. I hope she wasn't in too much pain at the end.

Back
Top Bottom